Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD/DVD won't eject

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
When I push the button on the front of the CD drive to eject the CD, the drive's light blinks but it doesn't eject the CD. The only way to get the CD to eject is to reboot and hit F8 to get to the troubleshooting window. At this point, I can eject the CD by hitting the drive's eject button.

I don't know if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. But it happens with CDs and DVDs and these both use two different applications. So I tend to think it must be hardware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The operating system on this computer is XP.

Edited by highland403, 27 January 2007 - 11:03 AM.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
welcome to geekstogo
curious, in explorer if you righthandclick the drive sellecting eject, does it eject?

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
no, clicking eject from the drop down menu of the drive doesn't work either.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sounds very much like broken hardware then, but I hope that someone else will prove me wrong

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Try a firmware update from the drive manufacturer's website? It almost sounds like the Windows optical device driver is corrupt, since it works fine when no driver is in play. Does it eject normally when you first start the computer, before Windows loads, or in BIOS?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Once you have the drivers updated, if that doesn't help, the traditional uninstall and reinstall might be an option.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Try a firmware update from the drive manufacturer's website? It almost sounds like the Windows optical device driver is corrupt, since it works fine when no driver is in play. Does it eject normally when you first start the computer, before Windows loads, or in BIOS?

Yes, it ejects normally when starting the computer.

I haven't had any success yet with updating the firmware. According to the computer's information, it's a Philips DVD+RW DVD8601. I went to Philips website, but they don't show this as a model number. I called Philips, but they were no help.

I opened the case, thinking I could see the drive and get a model number, but no way without pulling the drive completely out of the case. :whistling:

Do you have any suggestions on how I should go about updating the firmware?

I have been Googling DVD8601 and came across a website which appears to have a firmware update. Here is the website address: http://www.cdrinfo.c...px?DriveId=1205

Should I download and install this update?

Edited by highland403, 28 January 2007 - 02:18 PM.