Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs won't run

• Please log in to reply

poldestoc

poldestoc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had to do a repair re-install on my XP PC recently.

I then discovered that a number of programs that had run perfectly well under the old install would not run. Or shold I say, display themselves. They would appear in Task Manager as a running process, sometimes hogging system resouces up to 100%. I have uninstalled and then re-installed these programs to no avail.
Chief culprits are: Pagrat and XTemp Mover.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Pol de Stoc

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo! poldestoc.

Ok ,what program did you use to reinstall your OS? Whas it one installed on an OEM machine? If so, did you use recovery CD's? If you did you probably reformatted the drive although i dont think this is the case because the programs are still there but wont run, correct? If you did NOT use recovery CD's then you will need to reinstall these apps, for example Microsoft Office.

When were your programs hogging up resources, before or after the install of XP?

-OCM770-

poldestoc

poldestoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi OC...

Thanks for getting on to this so quickly.

I did a repair install from my own purchased XP disk without having to reformat the hd.

MSOffice seems ok. The problem programs were only a problem after the re-install; including resource hogging.

I have the impression that something is locking them out but what?

Paul