Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to do

• Please log in to reply

irocstang

irocstang

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
was refered here by coachswife as we both belive my problems may have started with malware but they may have affected the os.

please refer to this thread

http://www.geekstogo...es-t145474.html

please let me know what your thoughts are asap

thanks

Advertisements

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi there Geek U Freshman,

I read your initial post and I noticed something missing right up in the first few lines of your post and I'm knocking ten points off of your overall score for that.

Q: 1.) When you started that thread did you start "Here"? and 2.) Did you start at the top of that page and follow all of the instructions in the order that they were given?

IF you did why didn't you include all of the steps that you had taken prior to posting your HJT log?

Just wondering Boo...

Wendy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What was done before or during the cleaning process in the Malware Forum is irrelevant...the machine has a clean bill of health from coachwife6. That's good enough for me.

That being said, there a quite a few things that can cause the issues you describe. coachwife6 addressed many of them, we'll look at the rest.

First...services. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Services" tab, tick the box to "Hide all Microsoft services", then untick the boxes next to the rest of them and "Apply" the change. (Make note of any that are not checked before doing this.) These services will likely include your Anti Virus program, so don't connect to the internet during this check. Reboot.

With these services disabled, does the machine boot faster to the desktop? Is the overall performance better?

wannabe1

irocstang

irocstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
did what you suggested. Is alittle better. On reboot plauged by CHDisk still. IF i dont skip it says something is missing and cannot fix it and hangs there . So i have to reboot and skip it.

2 more errors i have on startup

-cli.exe failed to initialize properly
- C:\PROGRA~1\HP\HPROFT~1\HPWUSC~1.exe. The NTVDM cpu has encountered an illegal instruction cs: 0dc2IP0012 cp:c78b11f359. Asks me if i want to terminate and ignore. I press ignore and i dont want to wreck anything further.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is chkdsk trying to run on every boot?

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and click "Ok". A command session will open.

At the command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter". Does it tell you the drive is "Dirty"?

Type exit and press "Enter" to end the command session.

irocstang

irocstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
did what you suggested by running cmd and querying c. After i typed in what you said to there it said: Volume- C: is dirty. Then typed exit and entered back to desktop.

hope to hear from you soon

thanks so much for helping me I appretiate it

R

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Note the spaces in these commands)
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
  • chkntfs /c c: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive)
  • chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
  • exit ..... (to close the command session)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
  • exit ..... (to close the command session)
Reboot

This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on startup.

irocstang

irocstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
you werent kinding about it taking a long time to do the CHDSK. Dont worry im being patient. That didnt stop me from getting a new IP address for my laptop so i can access the internet threw my cable modem though. Im thinking this is gonna be an all day scan of CHDSK. My personal pc (not my laptop) is on stage 4 0f 5 and sitting at 29 pecent completed. It move up every now and again but as you mentioned its a pretty thorough scan.

Anyway i though id let you know im in the middle of completing your instructions and i will let you know how things turn out when its done.

Thanks again

R

irocstang

irocstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
after 2 days this thing you requested i do is finally done and at cmd query for dirty c drive it says now C: is NOT dirty. Computer boots up without chdsk and boots up way way faster.

Is there any further things to do

I would like to run a few virus scans again and see what i come up with but i wont delete anything untill i talk to you, or coachswife as the pc is running ok now and i dont want to bugger er up again.

anything else i could do to make it run better faster more would be appretiated.

thanks so much for the help and let me know if there is anything more to do

thanks again

R

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It concerns me that it took two days to run the chkdsk operation. This would indicate to me that it found a good many bad sectors on the drive and recovered them...which may indicate that the HDD is getting weak. It would be a good idea to back up your important files just to be safe.

If you haven't already, go ahead and re-enable the services I had you disable earlier and let me know how it runs after doing so. Are you still getting the two errors you mentioned?

I would also suggest that you run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools). Run the Disk Defrag from Safe Mode as there may be things running in Normal Mode that would interfere with it.

irocstang

irocstang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
In regards to "If you haven't already, go ahead and re-enable the services I had you disable earlier and let me know how it runs after doing so."

are you refering to the services in msconfig. I hid all microsoft services. Do you want me to unhide them? if so how. If you just want me to enable the ones that are listed there under services just let me know.

I am at school currently and will check my email when i get home and do what you suggest.

As of the 2 errors on startup:
1. is clie.exe which is a part of ati catalyst (graphics card). I remember when i put the card in that i had to download microsoft framework. It shows it is still there under add/remove programs. I wonder if i should unistall the catalyst and ati drivers and reinstall them?
2.) the other error i am getting is an HP error (cant remember what it said as im at school and my notes are at home). I just got my hp all in one for xmas and installed the necessary software then before all this fiasco started. As with the cli.exe i could unistall all hp software and drivers and reinstall them. I believe this error has to do with an upgrade popup that i may of deleted when i was searching and destroying malware/spyware.

let me know what you think i should do in regards to these errors.

To let you know the pc is running way smoother, faster, and quieter now. Its like we've braved the storm and are finally floating into the clear waters.

In regards to doing any virus scans. (as I had to use system restore near the end of my dealings with coachswife to go back to when all the troubles started). I would like to run some but am afraid they will do more damage. Is there anyone that can desern things i need like cli and hp from things i dont? After we are done with these steps you suggested maybe you can walk me through with the scans.

anyway im babbling now. I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks so much in advance.

R

ps anyway to install xp pro on my 2, or 3 drive (both new 300 gigers) and then swap one to master and use this "weak drive" as backup ect?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, the services are in msconfig...enable the ones that were previously enabled and unhide the Microsoft Services by unticking the box you ticked to hide them. Let's see how things run with everything as they were except for the bit we fixed.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the software related to the errors you receive would be a good first step and would be what I'd suggest doing.

Post a HJT log to your topic in Malware and let's see if coachwire6 can spot anything in there...just to be sure. Let me know when you post it, so I can take a peek at it, too. Let's hold off on the scans until we hear back from her.

For now, just use the larger drives for storage. Back up any data you have stored on the C: drive to one of those. If it looks like the main drive is starting to go out, move everything off one of the large drives so it can be formatted as a master without worrying about what's on there.

Let me know how the machine runs with all the services running.