Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No drivers for SM Bus Controller and Unknown Device

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have two "items" with yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager:
"SM Bus Controller" and "Unknown Device".

They both have the same problem:
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

Reinstalling the drivers and updating the drivers for both devices just produce the message "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

As far as I know the "SM Bus Controller" has something to do with chipset drivers - of which I have the latest version installed (Intel - Asus motherboard). Unsurprisingly, I cannot identify "Unknown Device"; its location says "on PCI standard ISA bridge".

Any ideas what these are?

Many thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 28 January 2007 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The SM Bus Controller is part of the chipet, its usually a separate download. If not a generic one from Intel may do the job.

The Unknown Device on the other hand could be absolutely anything. Possibly a modem driver, wireless, an onboard item - anything.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I would think that the SM buss would be part of the main board drivers and hence on the main board cd that comes with the board.

I assume you built the comp, based on description. You should be able to get it from the asus site.
What is the model of the board?

The unknown will be a little more difficult. Yet it might also show on the asus site.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
My apologies - I reinstalled my Intel chipset drivers and it fixed it. The original 2 devices "disappeared" and "Nokia 6230i" appeared in "Portable Devices" with no drivers (which is my data cable), which I have subsequently resolved as well. I should have tried the chipset drivers before I posted really, sorry.
Thanks for your help