Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

movieman

movieman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
My computer shuts down when I try to update my Windows Media Player. I may have screwed it up further because I removed it and tried to re-install it. On re-install, I got the same thing. My computer shut down when I tried to install the update.

Can anyone help me? Please?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

movieman

movieman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I discovered last night that I was incorrect in all that I was stating. It's only WMP 11 that's causing this problem. Is this due to the fact that 11 is still Beta, or should I attempt the previous post?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
mp11 is no longer beta. If your running a beta version then try uninstalling and then upgrading.

movieman

movieman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried to download from Window's website, but right after it opens the installer, it starts to act like it's going to download, then re-starts the computer.