Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Activating Office software from Cuba

• Please log in to reply

JustDuckyGal

JustDuckyGal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm in kind of a strange situation.
I just got a laptop for Christmas, and Microsoft Office 2003 software. I am a US citizen. A few days after I installed the software, I left on a study abroad program to Havana, Cuba. I never had the chance to register the software because I didn't have internet access, and now my 'grace period' of 30 days has run out.
Here's the trouble- I can't register my software from here in Cuba because it won't connect (which very well have to do with the fact that Microsoft is an American company and there's and embargo going on) and I can't call in the numbers from here because it costs over 10 dollars a minute to call the US.
I tried to get my mother in the US to call in with the numbers, but she can't figure out how to do it.
Oh, and I can't email Microsoft for help because they charge a $35 dollar fee and if I try to use my credit card here it will be suspended.
I really need the software to do my assignments, so if anyone has ANY ideas at all about what I can do, then you will be my heros. Am I SCREWED???

Thanks for any thoughts
-Sarah

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Use some other software?
http://www.openoffice.org can save in Word format.

Anyway the country you're in shouldn't matter if you're activating over the internet and in most countries you can activate Microsoft software on a toll-free number specific to the country you're in. If there isn't one there will be a national toll number for Cuba to get it activated but you don't have to call America.