Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

quicktime

• Please log in to reply

l.m.johnson

l.m.johnson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I keep getting a window popup in itunes telling me there is a new version available, but when i try to install it, it gets to a point where it tries to uninstall my current version of quicktime to install the new version and I get an error. I tried to uninstall quicktime using add/remove programs but it looks like it is going to work then just stops. I remember at some point that I got a message saying quicktime.msi is missing so I did a search and found a file and tried to direct the uninstaller to that file but it says that is not the right file. Could anyone help me to uninstall quicktime from my computer so I can upgrade to the newest quicktime and itunes versions.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think your best approach now is:

1. make sure QT is not running in the systray. If it is -- right-click & exit.
2. Delete the folder C:/Program Files/Quicktime. (since I don't use either QT or iTunes, you will have to use your own knowledge here -- they may be in the same folder or in separate folders, I don't know. Just delete any folders in C:\Program Files named Apple, Quicktime or iTunes.

Now open the registry editor (regedit.exe.). Use Edit->Find' to find all keys named Apple and delete as each one that is found until you see "Finished searching the Registry". Close the Registry Editor.

Now you just need to remove that non-working entry from 'Add/Remove Programs'. Download the free trial of 'Add-Remove4Good' from:
http://www.4develope...emove/index.htm
Install it. Highlight the QT entry then click "Uninstall'. The entry will be removed when the uninstaller fails.

Reboot.

Try installing the new version.

Edited by pip22, 28 January 2007 - 09:29 AM.

l.m.johnson

l.m.johnson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the help, but before I do all of that, is there a way to back up my computer and/or registry so that if something goes wrong I can get back to where I am right now. I just am really worried that by deleting the Apple stuff, something bad will happen with iTunes causing it to not be able to work. I am able to function without quicktime but if iTunes gets screwed up, it will take for ever to transfer my music to another programs and my ipod will be screwed up.

zenarrrow

zenarrrow

• Pip
  • 6 posts
To :whistling: Pip22 :blink: , thank you, thank you, thank you. I had this problem with itunes not installing, couldn't uninstall quick time for another version. Used your suggestions and programs. Now it works thank you very much Thank goodness for the search feature on this I posted a thread got no replies but found this thanks. >>>---Zen--->