Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RPC server is unavailable?

• Please log in to reply

edenn

edenn

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have 3 computers running XP Pro. They are all on a local network sharing files and printers. Everything has been running fine for quite awhile. Yesterday I installed a new software program "Scansoft PDF Converter Professional 4.0" (This was supposed to be an upgrade from 3.0 which was running fine.)

I was able to use the software to create PDF files, etc. This morning I tried to print one of the PDF files I created yesterday, and I got the message "The RPC server is unavailable", and I could not send the PDF file (or any other file) to any of my network printers. I could print to a printer connected to my LPT1, and I could share files between computers.

In desperation, I installed the program on one of the other computers, and got the same results. As it now stands, I can not print from any network printers, but I can share files. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this mess?

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried using System Restore to restore before the install?

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
acklan,

Thank you, thank you. I was getting so agravated I ignored the obvious. I was able to ping between 2 of the 3 computers, but not the 3rd. one. After restoring computer number 3, and rebooting all 3 computers, I am now back in business.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You are welcome, and I am pleased it was that simple. By the way welcome to GeeksToGo.

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you, I am sure I will be checking into this site frequently.