Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled windows and already getting "low disc space" mes

• Please log in to reply

3hp12

3hp12

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi there!

I reinstalled windows and seemed to have did something wrong in the "partition" side of things? When I look at how much space I have in the hard drive, it only reports 5.02GB total available. Since I just reformatted, I downloaded a limited number of things and I can't seem to download any more programs because the "low disk space" balloon keeps popping up. I'm not sure where I went wrong and I hope I don't have to reinstall windows again! And even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to do it right anyway... How can I get my 120GB of hard drive back on?

Here are my comp specs (let me know if I missed any pertinent info)
512MB RAM
120GB hard drive
64 MB DDR SDRAM (what is this?)

The other thing I'd like some advice on as well, I need an external hard drive - any suggestions? I just heard of this thing (learned the hard way when I lost absolutely everything on my computer last week - hence the reinstall of windows). Sigh, I wish I knew more about computers.. Please help me!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
The 64 MB of DDR is probably your video card's memory.
I need you to go into the Administrative Tools. Once there go to Computer Management and look under Storage and Disk Management. What is the size of your hard there? Are there more than one partition? Is there space unpartitioned?
As far as an external hard drive will you be moving it? Will it just sit on the desk next to the computer? Are you plugged into a router or switch?

3hp12

3hp12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi!

Okay, so it looks like there's 111.79 GB: 5.03 GB NTFS Healthy (System) and 106.76 GB Unallocated

Does that make sense?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
OH yeah, that makes sense. You only have a 5 GB partition and the rest is not being used. You need to increase your primary partition. I would make it a minimum of 40 GB for your C:\ partition.
If would delete the primary partition (C: drive) restart your computer and re-install XP. When installing XP it will prompt you to create a partition. The partition will be represented in MB not GB. Create a 40,000 MB partition (or whatever size you determine is best for you). When you create the partition XP will round off to the next logical block. Go with it.

3hp12

3hp12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay, thanks. I won't be able to reinstall windows until tomorrow when I get my windows CD back, so I'll try it then. But what's the purpose of not using more than 40GB?

As for the external hard drive, I'm not picky at all about the size, weight, amount of space. I just don't want to lose all my music and pics again! I don't know what a router or switch is? I think I want something that plugs into a USB port so it should be easy to find if I just search futureshop or something.

Oh, one more thing, will I lose what I already have on my C drive if i reinstall windows?

Edited by 3hp12, 27 January 2007 - 10:10 PM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

Okay, thanks. I won't be able to reinstall windows until tomorrow when I get my windows CD back, so I'll try it then. But what's the purpose of not using more than 40GB?

I have a 160Gb hard drive with 40 GB set for the primary partition. I use the last 120 GB to store my data. If I have to reinstall XP all I have to do is reinstall XP and the programs, and don't lose data.

As for the external hard drive, I'm not picky at all about the size, weight, amount of space. I just don't want to lose all my music and pics again! I don't know what a router or switch is? I think I want something that plugs into a USB port so it should be easy to find if I just search futureshop or something.

I would recommend an external drive that has both a USB and ethernet connection. A router is a network device that allows one to share resources between several computers and network devices at the same time. For instance a high speed internet (HSI) connect like ADSL or cable internet.
A USB external hard drive will work very good for you.

Oh, one more thing, will I lose what I already have on my C drive if i reinstall windows?

Yes. When you delete the partition any changes will be lost.

3hp12

3hp12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Dear acklan:

Thank you so much for the help. It's all done and in working order! It's just a pain downloading all the programs again! You're a lifesaver..

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Nice to see everything went well. If there is anything else please feel free to post a fresh topic.