Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Font Question (Probably an easy one)

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I created a web page with FrontPage XP more than two years ago when my little girl was born. I update it from time to time so friends and family can see photos of her. Over these months, I've come to learn a pretty good bit about web pages. Now, my wife and I are expecting our second child. I'm giving our web page an overhaul. When choosing fonts to go along with my theme, I'm wondering if some fonts are off limits. Somone recently told me that if I don't use a standard Windows font, the page will not show up correctly on another PC unless they too have the font installed. I'm trying to confirm this information. If that's true, I can only assume the only way to get the pretty fonts online is to post them as part of a graphic file. Correct?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I would try and ovoid FrontPage if you can. Try something else like NVU if you can't afford DreamWeaver. The link is http://www.nvu.com/index.php

If you use CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to select fonts you can avoid this problem. NVU support this. It works something like this
p
{
font: Arial, "Times New Roman", sans-serif
}

This will change the font on all p (paragraph) tags. It will try to use Arial, but should that fail it will try Times New Roman if that fails it will try any sans-serif font the user has installed. If you need move help on using CSS I can help you.

I would avoid using graphic files to show text, it not a good practice.

Congratulations on the second child! Should that be all pink or blue?

Michael Buckley

Edited by Michael, 28 January 2007 - 03:30 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
First, Congrats on the new youngin (I have another on the way myself)...

Second, I think this is what you are looking for: Embedding fonts

http://www.ssi-devel...mbed-font.shtml

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thanks for the help!

I'm reading the document about embedding fonts now. It seems I really need to learn about CSS. Frontpage 03 will code this so I should be OK.

New baby, Ava, will be born mid April. I have from now until then to get this right.

I appreciate you both pointing me in the right direction.

Magus

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Learning CSS would be a great idea if you have time to do so. We have a tutorial here to help you get stated http://www.geekstogo...ed-t139592.html