Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard doesn't work with USB Hub

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I have just installed a new printer with a USB connection (the old printer was an old connection). There are only 2 USB options on the computer and one has the mouse and the other the keyboard. I have connected a USB Hub with 4 outlets. I've put the mouse and the printer on the Hub. When I try to put the keyboard on an outlet on the Hub it doesn't work and I get a message saying that the computer does not recognise the device and that I should replace it. I can solve the problem by putting the keyboard (as I have right now) on one of the USB's at the back of the computer and putting the Hub in the other and connecting the mouse to the Hub. I figure the keyboard (IBM - came with the computer) must be faulty because I cannot F8 into safe mode on it - I took this issue to this forum early last year and we never could resolve it. I just went out and bought a new keyboard and it empasises that I should remove all old drivers before installing the new driver. I used to also have a PS2 keyboard on the system (it enabled me to F8 into safe mode, however it doesn't work now) and there is a driver for it on the system as well as the IBM.
My question - could someone please guide me to remove all the keyboard drivers and in case I have a problem with the new keyboard (my system is really old) can I copy the IBM one to disk in case I have to reinstall it?
Many thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Firstly, keyboards do not need a driver installing -- Windows provides it's own driver to allow all the usual keys you find on any keyboard to work, including the 'F' keys.

Only if a keyboard has it's own special keys (like, for example, opening the web-browser) does it then need the supplied driver installing. But even without this driver the keyboard will still work like a basic one.

The only keyboard drivers that are removable are those you've actually installed yourself, the ones that were supplied with the keyboard if it has some special keys on it. These drivers, known as "third party" drivers, should be listed in Add/Remove Programs.

You won't be able to copy an installed driver to a disc because it also needs a little program to install it (which is not on your PC), but you will probably be able download it from one of the IBM websites.

Your F8 problem with a USB keyboard is not uncommon. Many computers won't recognise a USB keyboard until Windows is running, since the USB drivers are not loaded before then. I'm surprised earlier help you've received did not mention this. That's why many prefer to stick with a PS2 keyboard if their PC has a PS2 port, and it also leaves more USB ports free for other stuff. However, many modern systems have an option in the BIOS settings to "Enable USB Keyboard" which allows the basic functions of a USB keyboard to work as soon as the PC BIOS has loaded. Sadly, my BIOS does not have that option, but yours may have, so check it.

I still strongly believe in using the PS2 keyboard port where it's fitted. It can't be used for anything else so why leave it empty and take up a valuable USB port which can be used for almost anything? Plus, of course, a PS2 keyboard doesn't rely on Windows loading before it can start working. If my daughter hadn't recently bought me an all-singing, all-dancing USB keyboard, I'd still be using my old faithful PS2 one now!

Edited by pip22, 28 January 2007 - 03:35 AM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
pip22, thank you for such an informative response. The old F8 problem now makes sense. The new keyboard I got has an attachment for PS2. I tried to plug it into either PS2 ports (there are 2) and it wont work, so I am thinking there may be a problem with these ports and not my old PS2 keyboard. Any suggestions as to how I can check out these ports?
As well the computer will not start while the USB Hub is plugged in. If I take it out, the computer starts and I then have to put it back when the request to Log On comes up, and everything is OK. Is there anything I can do to remedy having to do this every time I start or restart the computer?

many modern systems have an option in the BIOS settings to "Enable USB Keyboard" which allows the basic functions of a USB keyboard to work as soon as the PC BIOS has loaded. Sadly, my BIOS does not have that option, but yours may have, so check it.

Could you please give me 'step by step' directions to check this out? (Though I doubt mine will because it's not very modern - 6 years old).
Again, many thanks for your help. :whistling: