Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My windows 2000 keeps on rebooting even in safe mode; need helps..

• Please log in to reply

user109s

user109s

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all the gurus out there,

I need some advise to recover my PC which run on windows 2000. It happened when I installed the latest catalyst from guru3D; Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.330 (Cat 7.1). After installed I let it all in default setting except I went for a section choosed the speed x8. That's all I did and after rebooted the PC. The windows continue till at log in page. The moment I keyed in my user name & pswd then hit "enter". The monitor screen just blank off about 10 to 15 seconds. My pc rebooted.

At 1st I thought it's normal. Until it rebooted again after I log in 2nd time. I have tried a few times and the PC just rebooted after log in. Then I tried to log in in safe mode and the problem is the same; PC rebooted after I log in. :blink: I tried to set a command line; /sos at the boot.ini file and reboot ed the PC. It just booted normally. No abnormal activity at boot squence but I just couldn't log in. :whistling:

Need heelpsss.. :help:

My PC config;
win2k + sp4 + oct06 patches.
AMD 1.8G
1G Ram

Advertisements

user109s

user109s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No one encountered the similar problem? :whistling:

:blink:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have any software cd in disk player

if there is remove it

make sure to unplug all usb ports except mouse keyboard and monitor

unplug tower and monitor from the outlet in the wall

hold power button for about 30 seconds to a minute to let static out

then try turn it back on

are these Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.330 (Cat 7.1)

compatible to your computer

and do you have your xp cd handy or windows 2000 cd

if not borrow one

and sit tight someone will along to help

user109s

user109s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi rushin1nd,

Thx for the reply. I tried the methods you suggested but problem still the same. Is there anyway to remove the ATI driver manually by booting up 2nd HDD? (the unbootable HDD as slave, the bootable HDD as master.) Thanks.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
is this a 2ndhard drive

tryit alone or find a computer that can handle the harddrive

then remove it

or if you have recovery disk use it to boot and remove drivers

run a repair

user109s

user109s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi rushin1nd,

I've 2 smililar HDDs which runs on win2k, so if one has problem, I'll use another one to do a repair on the 1st one. (example scans bad spyware or others..)

I'm not able to do this time is because I couldn't remove the graphic driver manually using 2nd HDD. Perharps I don't know how.. Repair is with the cd may be a last resort. I may lose the programs after repair. Is there any program I can run and repair the bad bootable HDD?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if you run a repair you wont lose any data or programs but you will have to upate windows from microsoft

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you tried Last known good configuration.
Are you sure that is all that changed ? Safe mode loads only basic video drivers and should not be loading your Video drivers

Edited by peterm, 04 February 2007 - 02:13 AM.

user109s

user109s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi rushin1nd,
Will try that, thx.

Hi peterm,

I tried the last known good config and same problem. I guess I only have profile 1 to load. I tried a few times and different safe modes but it didn't go further. Once I log in, the pc starts to reboot. :whistling:

user109s

user109s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried the repair on my emergency repair disk last nite but not successful due to win2k CD unable to copy files to my HDD. I don know why it couldn't. It just prompted unable to copy files to local HDD, either continue or skip. It also prompted that if skip the system may not work properly. Hack.. :whistling: of course it won work properly!

These are the files that refused to copy;

winhttp.dll
sp3res.dll
qmgrprxy.dll
qmgr.dll
oeaccess.inf
msircomm.sys
msimain.sdb
msisip.dll
mdmirmdm.inf
iuengine.dll
iuctl.dll
irenum.sys
ieaccess.inf
au.inf
acspecfc.dll
aclayers.dll
acgenral.dll
sp3.cab

I have a 2nd win2k HDD, not sure if it'll work if I copy all the mentioned files over the 1st HDD... :blink:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry I lost this thread.
Ok you have 2 hard drives both with 2000. Why don't you put the bad drive as slave and take off all the data you need. When that is done and we know it is safe we then try repair 1st hard disk either with Ultimate boot disc or a parell install. We can also look for the file and try a remove AFTER we get your data. How does this sound

user109s

user109s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi peterm,

Thx for the reply. I did think about that. My 2nd HDD only has 10G while the bad one is 80G HDD. I heistate to buy a new HDD, that's why I try to get the bad one up. The 80G has 2 partitions; most of my data is in the 2nd partition. I can copy all files from 1st partition to DVD-RW, a bit painful though.. :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok I am assuming that both disk are the same up untill you updated the drivers. If this is correct then I would put 10gig in as master and 80gig as slave and use windows backup to backup the 10gig then use windows backup to restore. Pick the windows folder of the bad drive to restore to.
This should get the system to boot and you should be back to were you were before the drive update.
If you do not know how to use the backup let me know and I will write out the steps for you.
Cheers
peterm

Edited by peterm, 11 February 2007 - 02:34 AM.

user109s

user109s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi peterm,

Thx for your reply. The 10G HDD isn't much same as the 80G except "winnt" and some programs. If I restore the backup from the 10G to the 80G, I assume I'll lose all the programs on the 80G though... I have the backup "winnt" of the 10G only at the moment. :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
No No No
Ok All we are doing is backing up the Windows folder of the 10gig
then restore it but instead of restoring it to the 10gig we restore it to the
80gig windows folder.
We only do the window folder it should be the same as doing a repair.
But if you have doubts we will try another option or 2 first.

Is this the repair you tried

Start your computer from the Windows 2000 Setup disks or the CD.
Choose the repair option during setup.
After Setup finishes copying files from the last Setup disk, you begin the text-based Windows 2000 installation process. During this process, you can choose whether you want to install a fresh version of Windows 2000, or whether you want to repair or recover an existing installation of Windows 2000. To repair a damaged or corrupted system, you should select the repair option.

Choose the type of repair.
You can choose either the fast repair option, which is the easiest and does not require any user interaction,

Edited by peterm, 12 February 2007 - 01:17 AM.