Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gameguard

• Please log in to reply

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, is anyone here familiar with Gameguard and know how to completely remove it? It'd be nice if I could get a little step by step guide on removing it. :]

The reason why I ask is the last time I had it on my computer, my computer went through heavy slow downs. But I want to try out this game (FlyFF) that requires it and before I install it I want to be sure I know how to get Gameguard off my computer (because I sure don't want it to stay on my computer after hearing so many negative things about it). The last time I had it on my computer I ended up just restoring my computer to how I first got it (only to find that my problem still remained until I deleted something weird in a HiJackThis log).

Advertisements

coxmaster

coxmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
Hey there MorningRayn, are there any specific reasons you want to remove GameGuard? The system requirements are really guite low for gameguard. So odds are that isnt causing much of a slow down.

GameGuard is a game security program that can defend from game hack or hacking attempt at client end.

Judging from what the program is made for I would assume that any GameGuard program would require it in order to properly work!

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I hear lots of people saying Gameguard messed up their computer. Some people say it only messes up your computer if you have lots of spyware on it or something but after I installed it, I noticed a heavy slow down (I think the svchost.exe started taking up 50% of my CPU speed -- I can't remember if it was that process or not). Lots of people complained about it conflicting with anti-virus programs and crashing their computer. And I hear it makes your computer very vulnerable to attacks, too? (Then I also heard that Internet Explorer presents the same amount of risk to your computer.)

And there's no simple way to remove it like hitting some magical uninstall icon. It'll stay installed on your computer even after you uninstall the game, so I want to be able to remove it whenever I stop playing FlyFF. I just don't want the program lingering even after I stop playing the game that requires it.