Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage 100%

• Please log in to reply

Wilkshire

Wilkshire

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey,

I have a HP with WinXP Media Edition on it. My computer has always run fine but recently my CPU usage spikes too 100% and the process that is using the CPU is "System". I'll restart my computer and when it reboots CPU is at 1 or 2 but after a short time it will just jump too 100% for no reason at all. I've run Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Norton, Stinger, Avast, and AVG and all turn up nothing. I've not downloaded anything of recent and can't figure out this problem. Help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank You

Advertisements

Wilkshire

Wilkshire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone please help or comment. :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Let's see what processes are taking up the most space.

Hold CTRL + ALT + DEL

Scroll to the processes tab.

Which processes are taking up the most k's

For example, SVCHOST.EXE is taking up maybe 24.000k

I've run Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Norton, Stinger, Avast, and AVG and all turn up nothing.

This can cause problems by running Norton, stinger, avast, and avg at all the same time. You are not protecting yourself with all those AV's. You only need one. Uninstall all but one (keep avast or avg, unless you have a subscription to Norton, than bag those and keep norton as if you are paying for it. )

HTH :-)

-ultimateslacker2

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 28 January 2007 - 10:17 PM.

Wilkshire

Wilkshire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well even though, I still use 100% "System" CPU and my antispware/virus detect nothing.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You are not supposed to have more than one installed AV's. This will cause problems.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Spybot SD is for spyware.
Ad-aware is for adaware.
Stinger is a 1 time shot looking for trogens/ virus's that disable virus scanners.

Avast, AVG, and Norton are virus scanners. If you have all these running, they will eat up CPU.
Also they will conflict with each other on what they find.

This is probably not your initial problem, but you must remove 2 of the 3.

As asked, get into Taskmanager and look at your processes.
Also look at applications and see if something is running that you haven't started.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yes, if he removed some scanners, it will lift up cpu space for sure.