Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So My Ctrl+Alt+Delete Doesn't Work...

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I usually end null processes when I start up my computer to let it run faster, but for the past couple weeks Ctrl+Alt+Delete hasn't worked at all. I recently had to set up a wireless connection for my desktop PC, because I had to move my PC to another room in the house, and during that time my neighbor was helping me to set it up. In the blink of an eye to "free some space" he deleted what appeared to be all my of Windows Updates (at least I think) --- but from what I gather, when I try to manually update it on the Microsoft website it says that I am up to date. Could this be from the log not being deleted? Are my updates really gone? Does this have anything to do with my Ctrl+Alt+Delete being gone? I don't know - but I really need help because it is hard to end programs now that freeze and I basically have to pull the plug on my computer to restart it if something happens. Please Help!

:whistling:

Thank You,
Daniel Maloney

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Here, try this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555480

see if that helps.

-OCM770-

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I doubt that the updates were deleted. You would probably have other major issues.
What error do you get when you "control-alt-delete"?

You need to resolve the problem with the programs freezing. This could be bad drivers, programs, conflicts, etc.
This will create other issues that you may not recover from.
Pulling the plug is bad news.

I would suggest (if you haven't) backing up your data till this gets resolved.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Here, try this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555480

see if that helps.

-OCM770-

I wish I could say that that article has fixed my problem, but it has not. I thank you for trying and would appreciate anything else you have to offer.

I doubt that the updates were deleted. You would probably have other major issues.
What error do you get when you "control-alt-delete"?

You need to resolve the problem with the programs freezing. This could be bad drivers, programs, conflicts, etc.
This will create other issues that you may not recover from.
Pulling the plug is bad news.

I would suggest (if you haven't) backing up your data till this gets resolved.

No, no, I think I've given you the wrong impression. My programs don't 'freeze' that often, but what I'm trying to say is that if something were to freeze I could not properly end the process (in the process list as I usually do) because the Task Manager simply will not show up. If I try to close out a program and click the X - the "End Now" windows most times still pop up -- but you know how hard it is when your computer freezes -- "end now" won't end anything for 15 minutes. The error that I hear when I hold the buttons down, -not just quickly pressing them, is an internal beep from my motherboard. Not my speakers. It's like a *beep* sound. Oh - and about the backing up of information - don't worry, I've got everything backed up on an external drive. I've been to this website a few times before :whistling:

I just need to figure out why the task manager just won't pop up! Anybody?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Does either of the following work?

start/run/taskmgr ?
right click taskbar and choose task manager?
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC ?

Here is some reading KELLYS-KORNER.
Go to the "T" tab and scroll down to the taskmanager.

This problem could be virus/ malware/ spyware related. You might want to go to the virus section and get a clean bill of health.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Just as an addon to 123runners post, if none of those work check if taskmgr.exe exists under C:\WINDOWS\system32

-OCM770-

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Does either of the following work?

start/run/taskmgr ?
right click taskbar and choose task manager?
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC ?

holy cr@p those all worked! i wonder why ctrl+alt+del doesn't work?

Here is some reading KELLYS-KORNER.
Go to the "T" tab and scroll down to the taskmanager.

This problem could be virus/ malware/ spyware related. You might want to go to the virus section and get a clean bill of health.

That looks like a great website, but I don't know exactly what to look at for it. Could you recommend me a program to help me check on this problem? - Whether it be malware or a registry problem. I tried using this reg file to "enable" my task manager, but I don't think that worked. Task manager I know now works, becuase those shortcuts you gave me worked, but ctrl+alt+delete is disabled.

Edit:

Just as an addon to 123runners post, if none of those work check if taskmgr.exe exists under C:\WINDOWS\system32

-OCM770-

Yes, it's still there.

Edited by hysteria, 29 January 2007 - 04:50 PM.