Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with my modem? Router? cable line?

• Please log in to reply

KujaGuado

KujaGuado

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, for about maybe a week now, my internet has been playing up.

I'll start from the beginning and try to explain as best I can;

Modem - Webstar EPC2100 Series

PC led - Blinks green
Cable led - solid green
Data leds - blink green
Power led - solid green

SIGNAL:

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
2148000 bits/sec
Power Level
6.7 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
41.0 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
25800000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
256000 bits/sec
Power Level
28.0 dBmV

---

Router;

Safecom SBRU - 10100

---

As I said, for about a week now, my net has been playing up, it's been slow, tempremental and sometimes not working at all. On my network I have 2 PC(one of which get's a lot of use, the other, not so much) and an XBox 360, with my XBox 360, my XBox Live disconnects a lot, and again, sometimes won't connect at all, either tells me an MTU failure(despite the MTU on my router being at 1500, above the XBox Live reccomendation) or ICMP failure(whatever that is).

I've tried leaving my modem and router without power for 10 minutes then trying again, to no avail, i've rebooted my modem to factory settings, and pressed the reset button on the back of my modem, again, to no change.

I've currently got my main PC connected via Direct connect with my modem, but that's only really started to work(was trying to get it to work for a number of hours), and even as it's working, it's still somewhat slow.

I'm on Telewest Blueyonder, i've phoned the support line, but they weren't really helpful and the only thing they could do was offer to send round a tech.

I would accept that, if I knew what the problem was, as if it's a fault, the tech call is free. But to be really honest, i'd rather try and sort it out myself rather than taking a chance on it being a fault, as if it isn't a fault, I don't want to spend £120+ for a tech to come round and do 5 seconds work to fix whatever is going on. If I can do it myself, i'd rather do that than pay.

I did find something in my modems log, don't know if it's important or not, but incase it is;

Sun Jan 28 19:24:20 2007 Error (4) SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
Sun Jan 28 19:24:17 2007 Notice (6) SW Download INIT - Via Config file cm-2148-256

---

I ran a Google search, but couldn't find anything to help.

So, can anyone help? Or am I banging my head against a brick wall?

Cheers. :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I went thru that scenaro when i first got cable internet. I spent 6 monthstrying to convince the company that they were the problem. I went thru 30 or more "shutoff, disconnect, reconnect, turn back on" of the computers, router, and modem before they finally sent out a senior tech that knew what he was doing. It took him one day and a replacement motherboard on the power pole box to give me a constant 10 Mbps download speed for over 2 years now.

Meanwhile my brother that lives 500 miles away has a junk ISP and cable internet that is always giving him problems and never has provided any good support.

The SW errors you are getting is where they tried downloading some software to the modem to improve the connection and it failed, usually because you are using a different modem that what the software was for. Even a different model can cause this.

Where i live the cable connection is always on and always talking to the modem. I get a flashing green light when data is being sent so it flashes constantly. on the modem it's called PC activity. When i was having problems i could call a tech and they could check to see if they could see my computer. Sometimes they couldn't so i would go thru the disconnect-reconnect drill again. My router also has a flashing light that says its working all the time. I like using netgear routers because they use the Cisco hardware which to me is the best there is. Cisco supplys most of the hardware for the internet servers market.

Funny thing was i never replaced a single part in my computers, and never replaced the router or modem. It was the cable companys problem all that time but they just would not do anything about it until i threatened turning them off.

ICMP is Internet Control Message Protocol, which networks use to check systems.
Type: Transport layer control protocol.

ICMP messages are sent in several situations: for example, when a datagram cannot reach its destination, when the gateway does not have the buffering capacity to forward a datagram, and when the gateway can direct the host to send traffic on a shorter route. The Internet Protocol is not designed to be absolutely reliable. The purpose of these control messages is to provide feedback about problems in the communication environment, not to make IP reliable. There are still no guarantees that a datagram will be delivered or a control message will be returned. Some datagrams may still be undelivered without any report of their loss. The higher level protocols that use IP must implement their own reliability procedures if reliable communication is required. The ICMP messages typically report errors in the processing of datagrams. To avoid the infinite regress of messages about messages etc., no ICMP messages are sent about ICMP messages.

IP implementations are required to support this protocol. ICMP is considered an integral part of IP, although it is architecturally layered upon IP. ICMP provides error reporting, flow control and first-hop gateway redirection.

There are only 2 things left you can do past the modem. One is to replace the cable going to the connection outside of your house and the other is to replace your modem.

I once took my whole computer system and set it up on a fold-up table next to the cable box on the side of my house just to prove to the tech's it was not a internal house problem. They did not know what to say when the connection was not what i was paying for but instead was barely more than telephone speeds at 66K. Even the senior tech that came out later had heard about that one.

In the end it is usually the cable companys that are slow but you may have to go to great lenths to prove it to them.

SRX660

KujaGuado

KujaGuado

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not really PC literate, so most of what you said just kinda flew over my head, but if I understand right, it IS them(my ISP) that's the problem? It's nothing to do with the firmware on my modem or router? Nothing to do with my PC?

I tried connecting via my router earlier today, and got nothing, yet still seems to be ok(ish) on direct connect.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The real short of it all is that either your hardware works or it don't. What i was trying to say was i was bombarded by my ISP saying it was my problem when it was them all along. I just stood my ground and told them that none of my hardware had failed. They were compelled to listen when the connection did not work well even outside the house.

SRX660

KujaGuado

KujaGuado

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hmm. Either my hardware works, or it doesn't.

I have the option to try my router on my neighbors network, i'll try that and see if the router works like it should for them, but if it does, would I be able to buy a new cable modem, connect it all up and use it without having to register it or anything else with my ISP? Or will I only be able to use one that they supply?

If the problem is my router, is there any specific type of router I should buy to use instead? Like, is there some that won't work with a Cable connection? ADSL, ADSL2+? Looking on eBay, there seems to be quite a few different types.

You'll have to forgive me for all the questions, i'm in no way network literate.:whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I can check my settings in my router by typing in 192.168.0.1 in the webaddress field in any browser. This lets me access the router settings. If you did not set a name and password you will have to find out what the default one's are from the D-Link website. If you can even get that far the router is working. Downloading the manual for your router will teach you what your settings should be. You should be able to use any modem you want. When i wanted to check a customer's modem i asked my cable company to help me set it up. They accessed the modem and changed the setting remotely from their computer. The modem i used was a store bought replacement of the same type of modem they used. A modem is a modem and there is only a few things it has to do so programming and drivers on them are all very similar. Yes, there is a difference between modems for Cable, DSL, and the hi-speed DSL so you will have to know what you are buying for your type of connection. The connection to the computer is always the same, either Ethernet or USB.

SRX660

KujaGuado

KujaGuado

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can get to 192.168.1.1 through my browser just fine when connected via my router, I rebooted the router to factory settings, updated the routers firmware, left it off for 10 minutes etc...and when I tried to connect my PC via the router, there was no connection whatsoever, the Data lights on the modem weren't even blinking. :whistling:

Via direct connect, it seems to work, albeit a little slow and sometimes not loading pages.

I've checked the cables for rips or tears or anything similar, and they are fine.

This setup(via router) worked fine for ages, it's only recently began to play up. By the way things are behaving, it seems maybe my router is the problem, but why is it still a little buggy via direct connect? This leads me to think that maybe it's the modem that's the problem. I looked and tried to update the firmware for my modem, but couldn't find anything for my model. (Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 Series).

I am really strapped for cash right now, as I have a large debt to pay off, so my options for different hardware is limited, I can't ideally buy both a new modem AND a new router, and I can't afford to have a tech call round and have me charged £120+.

Edited by KujaGuado, 29 January 2007 - 02:03 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Does your ISP guarantee a minimum connection speed on the line? You can go to the different connection speed websites to find out what your real speed is.

http://www.bandwidth....com/speedtest/

http://myspeed.visua...m/uk/index.html

If you cannot attain the connection speed it may be because of line niose that slows things down to where it even feels very slow to you. Just something i would check.

SRX660

KujaGuado

KujaGuado

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The results of the speed test seem as they should. 2.09mbps download and 243kbps upload.

That should mean the line in fine? the modem is fine?