Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disabling annoying "ding.wav" sound

• Please log in to reply

jchien

jchien

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Recently my computer has decided to start playing "ding.wav" more often where it didn't used to. Two specific examples are when I'm using the ctrl-f find in Firefox and it can't find what I'm looking for, and in SSH when I try to backspace to delete text, but there's nothing to delete. I know I'm not giving too much to work with, but does anyone know how or why this "ding.wav" started playing more often, and how to disable it?

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
START-->SETTINGS-->CONTROL PANEL-->Sound and Audio Devices

Click the SOUNDS tab and in Program Events it lists the Windows events that have sounds associated with them. Find the one with "ding.wav" and remove it/change it, whatever you wish.

jchien

jchien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hmm, yeah, that does it. But now I'm trying to think if there's any times in the past where ding.wav would play and I did want it too.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This usually does not change by itself, but a new installed program may have set certain sounds to do this. You can change the sounds in 2 ways. One, you can go into control panel/sounds speech and audio devices/sounds and audio devices and then click on the sounds tab. At the bottomyou can hear each sound by clicking on the sound and hitting the play arrow. Then you can either change or delete the ding.wav from anywhere you can hear it there.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 28 January 2007 - 03:56 PM.