Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Compatibility

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I purchased my computer about a year ago through Dell and quickly found out I should have upgraded the video card. I halfheartedly looked around for a long time and then found the ATI Radeon 9250 (PCI, VisionTek) at Walmart a week ago. I bought it and contacted VisionTek to make sure my computer wouldn't "fry" since I only had a 250 Watt power supply (which was recommended). I got the goahead installed it and it seems to work well. However, the programs that I needed it for (RCT3, CivilizationIV) tend to make the computer seem to get really hot. THe Dimension 3000 that I own only has one fan to my knowledge and it runs full blast while playing those games. My CPU has no heat sensor. How hot for my system is too hot? I don't want to keep this card and have it overheat and ruin my computer.

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I have had setups that overheat badly, especially in the Australian summer. I tend to keep the side panels off some computers to allow heat to escape. Is there any holes for an extra fan? If you only have one intake fan, try adding an exhaust fan (a fan turned around) to let the hot air escape from the case. If the computer turns off suddenly or the graphics reset you know you have a bad heat problem.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I don't know if I could add an extra fan....I wouldn't trust myself to add it anyway. But you wouldn't worry a whole lot as long as nothing dramatic happens (and it hasn't in two weeks), correct? I am currently keeping the side panel off....not a bad thing right?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
As long as you (or someone else) don't stick your hands in there while it's on. I just keep the panel lying against it. and clip it (without the screws) on when im not using it for a while.

The problem with dells HP's compaq's etc, is that they don't give you room to upgrade or improve your PC. The power supply you say you have is just enough for you to run what you have for that computer when you bought it. They want you too buy another one when you need better stuff. Thats also why they can offer them so cheap.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yeah I noticed that. I'm a semi-geek, and I bought the Dell for its price. I learned quickly that I will never do that again. For starters only PCI (not PCI-e) slots.....grr. Oh well. Thank you very much. I feel much better knowing that it shouldn't destroy my machine.