Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WTK USB HDD enclosure w/ sleep mode?

• Please log in to reply

ratas calientes

ratas calientes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I purchased a HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and installed it into an external USB enclosure. I use it now for regularly scheduled backups of my PC.

The problem - this enclosure (manufactured by Ultra) does not appear to place the HDD into sleep mode after any period of inactivity. Since this HDD is only accessed once per day for a scheduled backup, I would prefer the disk "go to sleep" for the rest of the time it is not accessed - to extend disk life, of course.

I have spent hours searching on the WEB for an enclosure with this feature - it seems that some have them, as part of their firmware, but I can find no definitive claims of this capability. I have e-mailed numerous manufacturers and suppiers, but no informative responses yet.

Can someone recommend an enclosure brand with this capability?

Thanks - Posted Image

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I don't know of any. Mine has an easy-to-reach on/off rocker switch which I make full use of to prevent the disk from spinning until I need it.