Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

download hanging

• Please log in to reply

tbull11

tbull11

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Every time I try and download something the file download box comes up and I save whatever it is to where I want it and it seems to download, but the file download box stays on my screen forever unitl I end program. I have also tried to install my new sbc browser and it didn't work. SBC tech support tried to help and he thinks it's because my old symantec 2005 antivirus program keeps getting in the way (I haven't remewed the subscription in 2 years). I tried uninstalling it, and will not let me. Help! Also, I am now on Windows XP. I upgraded from 98.

Also, I tried to install Turbo Tax today and it hangs as well upon opning. I thought it might be the same problem therefore the post in this forum?

Thanks.

Edited by tbull11, 28 January 2007 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Make sure Norton AV is not running in the system tray before you try uninstalling it.

Norton also provides a removal tool here which may help (ignore 'Step 3' re-installing Norton):

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

Edited by pip22, 29 January 2007 - 02:23 AM.

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I will try the Norton uninstaller. This may sound stupid, but how do I know if it is not running in the tray.
Also, would this be the cause of my newly installed TurboTax not being able to open? I do not get an error, but it just sits there and says it is "initializing engine" and never opens?

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK. Uninstalling Norton worked and seemed to stop my downloading hang-up, however I still can't get my TurboTax to open. It just hangs when I open.