Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I suddenly have a log in window

• Please log in to reply

gorgigurl

gorgigurl

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I use xp home and I'm the only user. usually when I turn on the pc I go straight to the desk top, since updating from Microsoft including two .net framework updates I now have ASP.net machine A as a user, which I can live with I guess, but now when I switch on or even walk away for a few minutes I have to click on my name and wait for my profile to load. I hate this ! before reading too much about it I took out .net framework 1.1 from add & remove and was about to do the same with 2 but got a warning, so thought I'd better check up on this. I got tweak ui from microsoft and when I put in a password it flashed something at me, at the next reboot, and went bak to the log on name /picture. I would appreciate some advice please.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
As you probably guessed, it's the creation of a second user account by the net framework that causes the login screen to appear on computers where previously you were not required to log in.

Don't use tweakui to circumvent it. Wrongly used by you or somebody else, you could find yourself presented with a blank login screen and nothing to click on. It happened to me but I was able to correct it.

If you have net framework 1.1 installed there is a service pack which, amongst other things, fools Windows into thinking there is no ASP.NET user account, so you PC will boot straight into Windows as before.
it's here: (only for NF 1.1): http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

If you already removed NF1.1 and only NF2.0 remains, check to see if you still have the login annoyance as it should have been fixed in NF2, though I can't swear tro it. If the annoyance is still present and you are not a developer of NF applications, you can safely delete the ASP.NET account without 'breaking' any programs that rely on NF. That will stop the login screen from appearing, provided your account is not password protected.

gorgigurl

gorgigurl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks pip22 for your promt reply I will go and check it out now.

gorgigurl

gorgigurl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
NF 1.1 was removed Nf 2 remained but the log on screen was still happening so as you suggested I deleted the ASP.net account and now my PC keeps rebooting :whistling: It happened while it was on screensaver and today 3 times almost one after another. OOOH I wish I hadnt updated the darn thing! Any ideas now please?