Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C-Media Soundcard gating issues

• Please log in to reply

meddlecascade

meddlecascade

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi --

I'm trying to record various music and spoken word stuff on my computer, and when the input level dips below a certain threshold, the input signal is turned down abruptly; i.e. I play a chord at the end of a song and let it ring out, and it fades slowly until it gets to about -20db at which point the sound is abruptly lost.

This happens whether or not I run my microphone (it's a Shure SM57) through a mixing board (I have a Mackie 1604) or just plug the mic directly into the computer, and it happens on either jack. Additionally, the effect happens whether I use the Windows Recording program that comes standard with XP, or Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition.

So I think the problem is that there's a "gate" feature on my soundcard, which rapidly reduces the sound level below some pre-set threshold. My goal is to eliminate any gate in my soundcard, I'd much rather handle noise-reduction after recording a genuine signal.

I'm running Windows XP, and my soundcard is a C-Media AC97 CMI9761A. I've attached a screenshot of the various settings for the software that runs that card.

Thoughts? I can't figure out if I just need a new driver, or a new soundcard if C-Media just makes bad ones, or whether there's a way to get into it and turn off its gate feature.

Any help greatly appreciated...

Peace -- Meddle

Attached Thumbnails

• Soundcard_settings.jpg

Advertisements