Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant print IE6

• Please log in to reply

tbull11

tbull11

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I cannot print from the internet. Everytime I try to it seems like it preints, but nothing. I can print from Word , etc just not from the internet. Help!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you get any kind of error message on screen?

Please check the Event Viewer for any Warnings or Errors that happen at the same time. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services, Event Viewer. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time that correspond to the error. Once you have an event open, you can click the "copy to clipboard" icon (just below the down arrow) to copy the error text, then you can paste it in a reply to this thread.

How long have you had this problem? Is there anything you can think of that might have happened on your system around that time?

Please confirm the version of Internet Explorer (click Help, About...).

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I will check it when I get hoem. I never recieve any errors that I notice, but will try your suggestion. It all started when I recived my windows update to upgrade to IE7. I downloaded it and realized my computer couldn't nadle it, so I uninstaledd IE7 and am now using IE6.

I never used IE, i always used my sbc browser, but I cannot even use that anymore as I am unable to install due to my other problem. ..

tbull11 Yesterday, 07:38 PM Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 107,154
Operating System:
Windows XP

Every time I try and download something the file download box comes up and I save whatever it is to where I want it and it seems to download, but the file download box stays on my screen forever unitl I end program. I have also tried to install my new sbc browser and it didn't work. SBC tech support tried to help and he thinks it's because my old symantec 2005 antivirus program keeps getting in the way (I haven't remewed the subscription in 2 years). I tried uninstalling it, and will not let me. Help! Also, I am now on Windows XP. I upgraded from 98.

Also, I tried to install Turbo Tax today and it hangs as well upon opning. I thought it might be the same problem therefore the post in this forum?

Thanks.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Take a look at this article on reinstalling IE6. This is probably a good start.

Did the other issues (hanging downloads, and software start problems) begin after upgrading to XP?

Please provide your computer specs:
RAM (right click My Computer, Properites, General Tab)
Processor (same place as RAM)
Hard drive size and free space (open My Computer, change View to Details)

Is your computer a brand-name or custom built? We may need to check into updating the BIOS.

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
do i need to download Internet Exporer 6 SP1 and then also download and install Compatibility Patch for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB917425)? Also, should I uninstall IE 6 first?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try SFC first. If that doesn't help, do the registry edit (method II), then try to download and install IE6 SP2 from here. If the URL doesn't work for you, go to microsoft.com and enter KB 888240 in the search box. The download link was the second link in the list for me.

I don't think uninstalling is necessary with Method II as described in that Elder Geek article, but if IE6 is listed in Add/Remove Programs, you could try it.

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok. First my computer specs are:

HP Pavillion
Intel Pentium III processor
535 MHz
128 MB RAM
Microsoft XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Hard Drive Size 19.0 GB
FRee SPace 6.25 GB

I also checked the event viewer and there are multiple entries below is an example of the most frequent:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002
Date: 1/28/2007
Time: 7:29:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: PAVILION
Description:
Hanging application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
0010: 20 20 65 78 70 6c 6f 72 explor
0018: 65 72 2e 65 78 65 20 36 er.exe 6
0020: 2e 30 2e 32 39 30 30 2e .0.2900.
0028: 32 31 38 30 20 69 6e 20 2180 in
0030: 68 75 6e 67 61 70 70 20 hungapp
0038: 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 0.0.0.0
0040: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
0048: 74 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 t 000000
0050: 30 30 00

I am going to run the Norton Uninstall right now...Ok the downloading hangup seems to have stopped, but I am still unable to start my TurboTax. Also cannot print.

Edited by tbull11, 29 January 2007 - 06:46 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
One thing I suggest is more memory. 128MB or higher is recommended, but I'll tell you that you'll have better performance with at least 256MB.

Did you go through Method I and Method II of that article? Please list exactly what you've done, what still isn't working, we'll regroup and go from there.

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
1)Used ATF Cleaner
2)ran AD-AWARE
3)sucessfully uninstalled Norton
4)tried re-installing IE6, it gave me a message that a newer version was already insatlled, so I installed the IE6 SP2 you mentioned previously

that is all I have done. I then tried to open Turbotax (newest version which I bought and successfully insatlled yesterday) and it hangs up and doesn't open. I tried opening Turbotax 2003 just to see if it worked and the same thing happened. FYI- Word opens fine.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
1. Were you able to print from IE6 before upgrading to XP? Before upgrading to IE7?

2. Do you get any errors in the Event Log at the same time you try to print from IE? Please copy/paste them if you do.

3. What are the system requirements for your newest Turbotax? They should be listed clearly on the box. Does your computer meet this?

4. From the article I posted in Post#4, run SFC. The instructions are in that article.

5. Do you have your data backed up? We might need to reinstall XP. Does your Windows XP CD say specifically "upgrade"?

Edited by LindaGail, 29 January 2007 - 08:31 PM.

Advertisements

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I was able to print from my sbc browser before. Then I installed IE7 and everything slowed way way down so I uninstalled ASAP. Then my DSL modem went out and they sent me a new one which required me to re-install SBC Browser...couldn't do it. It would hang a tthe very wnd of the install to which tech support told me Norton was probably my problem. I have not been able to print from the web (now using IE6 because SBC is disabled) since then.

I do not get any errors in the event viewer when I try to print.

I meet all of the requirements for TurboTax. (XP, 200 MHz, 350MB hard disk space, 128 RAM, IE6, Flash player 7.0)

I have most of my data backed up and can do it again if need be. I have the XP upgrade.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you run System File Checker? If not, do that.

See Microsoft article 329134.

Did either of these help the IE6 printing problem?

Do you still have your Windows 98 CD? Since your XP CD is an upgrade, you'll probably have to install 98 first, then XP (if that's what we decide to do).

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I will run the file checker now. I believe I still have the 98 CD.

tbull11

tbull11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I ran the checker and re-booted. Same problem.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
The next thing I'd do is repair Windows.

*** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You may have to reinstall other software you had installed.

If this doesn't help, then I'd format and start all over. Since your Windows XP CD is an upgrade, I believe you'll have to install 98 first, then XP. If you go this route, be sure you have all your device drivers ready for reinstall. This means have your Driver Installation CD handy, or download all the drivers and put them on CD or thumbdrive, especially the NIC driver (otherwise you won't be able to get on the internet to download any other drivers you might need).