Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTFS file system

• Please log in to reply

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Okay, I cant run sharing folders with Live Messenger because my files system is not NTFS it is FAT32. Is it a good idea to change it. Would I have any problems?

Thanx..

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are USUALLY no issues that come from converting to NTFS...though there can be some...usually localized file corruption or other strange issues...but MOST of the time converting to NTFS doesn't cause issues

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Would it Slow down my computer? I have 224 RAM on XP. With a 40 GB HDD partitioned into 2.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
shouldn't...i don't think there's any overhead with regards to speed when using NTFS as apposted to fat...in fact i THINK that it might move slightly faster if anything...

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Okay I did it using Command Prompt for both my Partitions. It worked for Drive-D (it says NTFS in My Computer). But for Drive-C it hasnt changed, it still says FAT32. Drive C is my partition with Windows installed. I Converted both on restart and tried doing it to Drive C again, but nothing is helping. I am going to try doing Drive-C one more time.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Please Help! One partition is NTFS. One Partition is FAT32. What do I do!?

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Bump.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Have a lookie..

http://www.microsoft...convertfat.mspx

HTH

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Thats what I did, and it converted on restart. But when the comp starts up it still says FAT32 for one of the partitions. I've tried doing it several times now it is not working.

Nikul

Nikul

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Bumppp...