Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

JChristopher

JChristopher

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I work from home and I am connected to my company server, using Outlook 2003.

Is there any way I can transfer my connection details from my desktop to my newly acquired laptop without involving the server administrator?

When I last reformatted the PC hard drive I had to ask the administrator to configure Outlook for me, they used a program called VNC Server to take remote control of my PC, but it took them a week or so to get round to it. I need to reformat again and have tried to copy details to the laptop so I can keep in contact whilst I deal with the PC, with zero success!

I have meticulously recorded all the server details, gone into control panel > Mail >Email Accounts and tried to using both add e-mail account and view or change existing e-mail accounts to set up on laptop . I can insert all details, starting with Exchange Settings page and then all the other details by clicking the More Settings tab [all the details on the laptop morror those on the PC] but even though I get the dialog box asking for my password [username already filled in] I am told the Outlook has to be online to proceed to veryfy my name but there is no way I can do this. If I try and set up with Outlook already started it tells me I can’t set up with Outlook started and I must go to Control Panel>Mail etc – round and round in circles!

Is it possible to set up server details on the laptop without the involvement of server Administrator, if so is there a utility that I could use that would copy details to a flash storage disk and transfer these to the laptop [and back to the PC once I have reformatted the HD] or do I have to do it manually?

I have trawled the web, but can't resolve this!

Any help, advice, assistance would be greatly appreciated

Jack Christopher

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

told the Outlook has to be online to proceed to veryfy my name but there is no way I can do this. If

do you mean you can't have the other computer connected? outlook has to have a connection to the server to be able to connect and be used...
are you just wanting to store the information for when your laptop get's reinstalled? if that's the case you could just write it all down

JChristopher

JChristopher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
dsenette - thanks for replying

I did write everything down but decided to try to set up connection on laptop just to make sure. The laptop is connected to my router as is the PC. I have disconnected the PC from router to see if this made any difference, I still could not connect Outlook on laptop to server, but some progress was made as i now have the send/receive button which was not there previously. When I try and send test email I get error mesage that it can't connect to server!

Going back to Tools>Actions>E-mail Accounts.View or change existing e-mail accounts [on laptop] I find that my name and that of the server is not underlined - when I press Check name I get the usual not connected to server.

Where it says Deliver new email to the following location [on initial E-mail Accounts dialog box] on the laptop there is a choice of Personal Folders or Private Folders whereas on the PC the choice is between a mailbox of my name and archive folders, this is the only difference in the details between the set up on the laptop and the PC.

As mentioned previously I have checked and double checked over and over again over the past two weeks and I am completely stumped by it. Maybe the Administrator has to be involved but for the life of me I can't see why.

I really don't want to start reformatting the main PC as I am not sure that I will be able to set up Outlook easily on that, although once i have done it I intend to clone the HD for future purposes. Once again thanks for your trouble.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok...so is outlook connecting to a mail server at your office? or like an ISP mail? is it exchange? what are you connecting to?

JChristopher

JChristopher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The server based in the office, the server ID is Microsoft Exchange Server glsbs.Geraud.local

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok so it's an exchange server....do you know if the OTHER pc...the one with the working email...has a VPN connection set up to your office?...i suspect this is the case...as it's unlikely that your company has it's exchange server publlicly viewable (if they do...well...i won't comment but the word that i'd use starts with an S and rhymes with TUPID)...there has to be some form of connection from the OUTSIDE into the "corporate" network...you'll probably have to call those lazy techs on this one

JChristopher

JChristopher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
dsenette
I suspect you are right about the VPN connection, this company is very secretive, will do as you suggest and get in touch with the tech guys. Thanks for your help.