Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

do i need to use a Hub?

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi i want to run a hard wired network between 2 computers, i was wandering do i need a hub for this?I have also a Brand: D-Link
Model:DSL-504T
4Port ADSL/ADSL2/2+ Modem Router
Can i do my network through this router?Or do i still need to get a Hub?

I want to setup so both computers can use the net at the same time!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
That router should work for you.

Plug the cable out of the wall into the modem. Plug the ethernet cable from the modem into the "Internet" jack in the back of the router. Then use the "Lan1", "Lan2", etc. outlets in the back of the router for each computer.

Please post the results.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
If i do that will i be able to play Lan games like counter strike between the 2 computers?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not very familiar with lan games. If it requires both computers to be on the internet at the same time (in the same way you and your friend across town would play the game together), then, yes, you'll be able to.

If that didn't answer your question, then ask it again a different way.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
That router should be fine for two computers as it has built in ports.

You both connect to the ports and game away...

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sorry i meant to say will i be able to share files and play games like a lan, or is this connection through the router only going to share an internet connection?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
If the computers are connected to the router they will have the opportunity to see each other.

Meaning:
* if you want to share files you have to enable file sharing
* They will need to be in the same IP subnet to game across the LAN (if you have DHCP enabled on the router this is taken care of).
* As long as a domain is not set-up and a workgroup is in force you should be set to communicate with each other.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok Thank you very much!!one last question does computer A have to be on if computer B wants to go on the net?or is it just the router has to be on?

Thanks for your help

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
No, because the internet connection runs from the modem to the router then out to the computers.

However, if you share files or other resources (like a printer connected to Comp A), then Computer A has to be powered up for those resources to be available to Computer B.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thank You very much for your help!!