Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Monitor has no Signal

• Please log in to reply

malteserfan

malteserfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'd like some advice from someone who might have more of a clue than me!
My computer randomly just loses signal to the monitor and so I have to restart it. This is totally intermittant and doesnt seem to have any pattern. usually a restart seems to resolve it temporarily but now it just isnt coming on at all apart from the no signal msg or at best i can watch it boot up then it goes off again.

Dont know if some background is helpful but I'll give it anyway. About a year ago my computer blew up! I got a new higher capacity PSU, a new motherboard and eventually a new graphics card. To start with the computer worked fine then I started getting the random 'no signal' on the monitor whilst in the middle of doing things. After much frustration and fiddling about removing/replacing the graphics card etc it seemed to solve the problem ( I think it was a fluke!) for about 11 months it worked perfect... now the same problem has started happening again!

Any suggestions as to things I can try? Not too technical please!! or an idiots guide!! :whistling:

The monitor is fine I have tested it on another PC.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It can really only be 2 things now that could cause this. Either the graphics card is quitting or the cable to the monitor has a dodgy connection somewhere. You might check to see if the power supply is getting enough power to the graphics card. Some graphics cards need need specific wattage to run like 75 watts or so. This means you usually have to have a line capable of at least 7 amps to run. If more than one piece of hardware is connected to a line it may be pulling more than the line is rated for. It also may be the power supply does not have enought rated voltage to keep u[p with the system so the 12 volt line goes low and the graphics card quits. Download speedfan and see what it says for your voltages.

SRX660