I have a HP Printer Deskjet 960c which I used for Photos, also I had a Lexmark z23 which worked together happily.
The Lexmark stopped working so I got a HP D2360 this would not install kept stopping near the end with Access Denied told to remove USB plug and it uninstalled its self, tried this again the same.
Before trying to install D2360 the last time I
1) With Windows add and remove Programs I removed deskjet 960c
2) I run Norton Utilities WinDoctor to clean it up.
3) I run Regedit to see if any bits were left, There were none
4) I tried to delete all files from HP printers still in Program Files, all 960c files left I deleted, but files from D2360 "Digital Imaging and Software update" would not delete.
5) I did a cold reboot
6) I inserted the disc to install D2360
7) when told I inserted the usb plug
8) The Program stopped in the same place
Looked in Program Files and there were files left I tried to delete them they would not delete, files of Deskjet D2360 Digital imaging, Software update, were still there.
I have also tried to delete the D2360 files in safe mode this did not work
I have tried a program called "Unlock" ( which unlocks files locked by other programs) it says the files are not locked by any program, but they will not delete.