Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't seem to figure out this XP error

• Please log in to reply

Jax3683

Jax3683

• Pip
  • 5 posts
For the past two weeks I've been getting this automatic reboot :whistling:

Posted Image

I haven't installed anything new recently, so it's hard for me to think that is the cause (I don't remember anything knew going on in the recent timebefore this started happening!)

If there's anyway someone could help me find and beat this problem I would really really appreciate it!

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, post any items in your reply that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

cheers...xxx1

Jax3683

Jax3683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nothing in that window had a yellow ? or ! near it. The only thing with any symbol other than normal is the 802.11b card, which I have disabled since I got the computer....

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi Jax

Do you have anything hooked up to the USB port

How long has this been occuring?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
heres something from microsoft

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=331988

Edited by rushin1nd, 29 January 2007 - 07:21 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More information for you.

Usually indicates a USB driver problem. Makes sure, though, that you have the latest Windows service pack installed.

microsoft article kb331988 may give you some answers.

Do you have a USB hard drive constantly hooked up and running on the computer?

SRX660

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

do you have all hardware driver updates ?, also windows updates they might need installing.

cheers...xxx1

Edited by xxx1, 29 January 2007 - 07:34 PM.

Jax3683

Jax3683

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for that link to that article, I'm checking that out!

I never have anything plugged into my USB port! The only thing I can think of that's EVER plugged in ismy internet card (I have my internet through my wireless provider, so I have a little card that I plug in! Since I am never at home, constantly traveling.)

All of my hardware is what came with the computer (other than that internet card) But I will definately check into the drivers and be sure that they are updated. I do have all the Windows updates (including Service Pack 2, it came on my laptop... which is only six months old)

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

I never have anything plugged into my USB port! The only thing I can think of that's EVER plugged in ismy internet card (I have my internet through my wireless provider, so I have a little card that I plug in! Since I am never at home, constantly traveling.)

disable the wireless and see if you continue to get the same stop error

you can disable the driver in the device manager

start..control panel
system...hardware..
device manager
your wireless network adpter
is listed there
right click on it
and click on disable driver

if that dont solve your problem you may have to uninstall the software but try that first
if thats the problem then inform the manufacturer about their product and drivers causing computer to crash

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 January 2007 - 12:08 PM.