Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Importing site from Sitebuilder to Dreamweaver 8

• Please log in to reply

Yellabrick

Yellabrick

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, really hoping someone can help me!

I started off my own site in Yahoo Sitebuilder about 9 months ago. Web development was entirely new to me but I've managed to do everything I wanted to within Sitebuilder's capability, however, more and more recently I have found that it's not possible to do what I want to in Sitebuilder. I've bought Dreamweaver 8 and I want to start using that instead. I've got around 35+ pages now and the site is continually expanding, so I want to use CSS to enable me to make uniform changes in the future.

How do I switch the site across? Do I open one page in Dreamweaver and set up CSS rules from there then make all the other pages from scratch, or import all the pages. CSS is all new to me again and that is baffling me a bit as well!

Thanks
Suzi

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
If you are converting to CSS you will have to most likely recode everything.

That in itself is not a bad thing... it gives you a chance to weed out unnecessary code, streamline your site and give it a fresh new look.

The beauty is once you have switched to using CSS and have designed your pages accordingly, instead of having to change each and every file you can modify the stylesheet and all your pages will follow suit.

In Dreamweaver 8 this is a SNAP! It's so easy it isn't even funny. Get a fair grasp of how CSS works and you will be amazed at how simple it is.

Good luck!

Yellabrick

Yellabrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply. Does that mean that you think I would be better to redo the site from scratch then? Or would it be easier to import a page and then clean it up?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
Personally I would do it from scratch.

Most likely the pages are designed with tables and lots of propriety code that Sitebuilder sticks in there and will be more trouble to try and work around as opposed to just starting with a clean slate.

There are plenty of CSS tutorials out there (Michael has one here at G2G that is well written) so what I would do is layout on paper the blueprint of the site (that layout, color scheme, etc), be sure to comment your CSS file so you know later what it is for and what to change if necessary, and then build the foundation of the site in Dreamweaver (a little hint is to click on the Common pull down and click Show as Tabs. It makes navigation a lot easier IMHO... see below).

example.jpg

From there click on Layout and you have your DIV tag creator handy..

example2.jpg

And lastly I would HIGHLY recommend that you design in split screen mode so you can edit the code as well as get an idea what it looks like when designing...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ed-t139592.html my tutorial :whistling:

Yellabrick

Yellabrick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks guys! :whistling: Looks like I've got a lot of learning and work ahead of me then!