Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not start up while USB Hub plugged in.

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
I recently purchased a USB connection printer and needed to add a USB Hub to the system in order to connect the printer. My computer will not start while the USB Hub is plugged in. If I take it out, the computer starts and I then have to put it back when the request to Log On comes up, and everything is OK. Is there anything I can do to remedy having to do this every time I start or restart the computer?

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hi,
What do you mean by "Will not start"?
How far do you get in the boot process?
Sarah :whistling:

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hey Sarah, thanks for responding.
I press the button to turn on ... I hear machine noise .... the monitor does not come out of standby ... and the computer doesn't make any of the usual noises when it gets going. When I unplug the Hub and then press start button the monitor light comes on and the usual gurgling noise while it is booting up happens.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Strange!
Could you give me the make and model number of the USB Hub.
Do you get this problem when you plug in the printer directly into the USB port?
Edit: Some devices do not work with some USB hub's

Edited by sarahw, 30 January 2007 - 05:44 AM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Sarah,
As this subject is also connected to my other post, would you mind if we just communicate in the one post? Would save any duplicating of info.
I'll answer in my other post - if that's OK with you.
Thank you.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Does the USB hub have an external power supply, if so, I have seen that before, although don't have a solution other than removing the power supply.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Kemasa, thank you for your assistance. No it doesn't have an external power supply. It's just a little 'thingy' with four USB ports along the side and out of the end is a tiny cable with a USB connector on the end and this is connected into the USB port at the back of the computer.