Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting sky satelite tv to pc

• Please log in to reply

shell38

shell38

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

I am running a pretty highish spec pc which i am told should do this job (from sky man who deals with this) I have windows xp media centre addition. Pentiium 4 180GB 1024 ram. I think the followin is correct video card ATI Radeon 9550 and also a secondary one the same. sound card is real tek AC'97 audro. Not sure if you need any more information.

Right this is what the sky man has told me to do. He has given me a t bar connection that i have plugged into the back of the sky box and run the cable into the arieal socket in the pc. I have done this and did a scan searching for channels. Already built in the pc is Diggital freeview and it is picking this up but not the sky channels.

Wondered if there was any suggestions what is going wrong.
Im also using a belkin Wireless cable router on my pc but guess that does not make any difference.

Many thanx
Shell

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Sky channels need to come through your Sky Digibox. Therefore you need to tune your TV card into the Digibox before it will see anything. You then use your Sky Remote as usual.

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi thanx now call me all the names under the sun but how do u tune the pc tv card into the sky..... lol
many thanx
shell

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Need to use the RF out connector and find out whatever the default channel number is. You should be able to reset the software with the card, leave the Sky box on (just bring the TV Guide up) and it should add it as a new channel automatically.

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
so u are saying leave the channel on 5 as it is on my tv then leave it with program guide and then go into media centre and set up tv signal........ well i think i did all that but nothing happened can u be bit more spercific with instructions this is all very new to me, and to be honest was not even sure this cld be possiable to do, until someone said it was..........

The idea is that i can then use my pc as a dvd recorder and watch while on pc.

sorry for being a pain just im not very technical lol as u prob gathered but if u cld give me step by step then will be able to follow

thanx
shell

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hi

found out that the defualt RF output on digibox is 38 so do i need to change this on the digibox if so it says numbers 22-69 or do u mean do it from the computer.

Have been trying for afew hrs this morning and nothing seem to work. As said we are using a t bar connection in the back of the digi box into the ariel outlet, we have put it in the bottom one as we think this is the out one, is this the normal out one

Could someone please help as this is getting so frustrating lol

Thanx shell

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The TV card software, if its set up for the right country, should by default scan channels 21-69. Therefore if the digibox is on when it scans, it should find it. This assumes that Channel 38 doesn't clash with Channel 5 in your area. If it does, you'll have to retune the digibox.

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Nope its not finding it. let me explain how i am doing it and u can tell me if i am wrong or right

Turn digbox on
Its connected via rf output to pc
im using windows xp media centre
go to meda centre
settings
tv
then set the mast for Dover as i am in Ashford Kent
it does scan
it picks up my tv digi channels (although my pc has built in freeview) but it has found a few more channels from my tv digital freeview. 46 in all but no sky

Thanks
shell