Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Directed here by Armodeluxe

• Please log in to reply

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi peterm,

I followed the instructions in the link:

Windows ME -- system.ini problem (I think).

The first System Restore point it gave me was July 30, 06.

I didn't choose it because it didn't seem right. Thought I would check with you first.

Thank You,
Rebecca

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca C

Additionally, if I update anything, i.e.; Norton, Video Settings, I get the following:

"Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 %1 %2"

Has this problem been resolved.
Do you have a backup of your important data?

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your help. However, I had already tried System Restore, among other things, before I contacted geekstogo. That didn't solve the problem. The last thing I was told to do was:

What happened when you tried system restore (post 8)
I think we need to fix 1 thing at a time slower I know but fixing one thing can lead to other things be fixed on the way.
Cheers
Peterm

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi peterm,

The %1 %2 is resolved in a way, however it does pop up again from time to time, if I update something. If that happens I reneme a winini file and that seems to get rid of it.

I do not have a back up of my important data, I keep meaning to do it and know how risky it is not too. The only thing I have currently are CD's and not sure how many I will need. I do have an extra hard drive, which I was going to use to upgrade to XP, but haven't had the courage to take that step.

I did try the scanreg /restore fix. Once I did, I enable the system.ini and the problems were the same.

Thank you for all of your help and time.

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca
In my signature there is a link to Tune up trial
Please down load and run disk clean up and registry cleaner Both on the second tab.
Then run the tuneup registry defrag on the optimize & improve tab.
Then
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click Process System.ini file on the General tab to restore the original file.
3. Double-click the 386Enh folder on the System.ini tab.
4. Click to clear each check box that does not have a Windows flag next to it.
If Windows Me starts normally, there is a driver loading from the 386Enh folder that is causing the problem.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

I have Clean Up which I run about once a week, along with Adaware SG. I recently downloaded Registry Fix v 5.5 from the geeks to go site, but it was corrupted and I just recently removed the entire program. I'm not sure if those are the same programs you referred to. I will download Tuneup Trial and run that.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

Sorry, I just went to the Tuneup Trial link and see that you were talking about Clean Up and Registry Cleaner in the Tuneup program.

Just to make sure, do I download TuneUp Utilities 2007?

Thanks again,
Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Yes
and don't forget
2. Click Process System.ini file on the General tab to restore the original file.
If Windows Me starts normally, there is a driver loading from the 386Enh folder that is causing the problem.

Edited by peterm, 13 April 2007 - 05:42 AM.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi peterm,

I downloaded Tune Up. Ran clean up and registry cleaner. However, when I ran the registry defrag, the computer apparently froze. After an hour of nothing happening I had to soft boot out of it. Thought I would try running that in Safe Mode (if the program allows), as I am unable to run Windows Defrag unless I am in Safe Mode, otherwise it just keeps starting over.

Let me know what you think.

Thank You,
Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca
1st time for everything(sorry) Defrag should take minimum time.
Can you try

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
have you run spybot adaware anti virus etc since having the problem. What anti virus are you using?
Although I think it is a corrupt file.

Advertisements

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
HI peterm,

I just want to double-check what I am supposed to do.

I enable the whole system.ini file by putting a check mark next to Process System.ini file. Then under 386Enh I put a check next to file without the Windows flag?

Right now there are 2 files under 386Enh 1 with a Windows flag which says display=*vdd,*vflatd. So I am going to put a check next to the one without a Window Flag which says EMMExclude=COOO-CFFF?

I have run Spybot, Adaware and Norton Anti Virus 2005, which I continually update. You think there is a problem with Norton?

Thanks Peter,

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca
No the ones with a windows flag have a Tick the ones with out windows have NO tick
Cheers
Peterm

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

Here is everything that happened after I enabled system.ini and removed tick from file under 386 with no windows flag.

Clicked OK to restart computer then had to actually to soft boot out as computer froze.

Computer booted up with correct video settings, but no mouse.

Error message appeared: "Rundll32 Rundll32 has caused an error in KERNEL 32. DLL Rundll32 will now close. If you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer.

Managed my way around with the keyboard and then went to msconfig and disabled system.ini.

Restarted computer

Computer booted up in a Safe Mode looking screen.

Reinstalled Nvidia Drivers.

Restarted

Got the %1 %2 problem but only two lines of it.

Then everything looked OK, had the video settings and the mouse back.

Thanks Peterm,

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca
Is this an upgrade from 98 or a clean install of ME
What version of media player do you have
Do you have your product key.
Do you have the cd's for your programs or if you downloaded programs do you have the downloads still.
I am thinking we may have to reload windows - we should not loose data. I will do all the steps first on my computer to try and find all the pitfalls, It should work with out problems but best to be safe. I can back up all my data so I don't have a problem if something goes wrong. Your Thoughts?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 21 April 2007 - 04:13 PM.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

I bought this computer in July 2001 and it came with Windows ME.

Windows Media Player is Version 9.0

I am not sure I know what a product key is.

Additionally, I don't have all CD's for all software, not sure exactly what I'm missing and how important it is. I do have my Microsoft Works Suite CD's as well as some others, i.e.: Photoshop, AOL etc.

I will do whatever you suggest to fix the problem

Thanks,
Rebecca

Edited by Rebecca C, 22 April 2007 - 12:24 PM.