Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Directed here by Armodeluxe

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Ok Rebecca
We can try a few more to try and fix it or we can reload ME. Depends on how important the programs are and how much effort you want to put in.
Please click on Start> Run type in msinfo32 click ok.
This will give a help and support screen. Click on tools> Direct X Diagnostic Tool Click on each Tab from Direct X Files >
Network Have a look down the bottom Under Notes. It should have No problems found if not please let me know.
Under tools Click on registry checker - Does it report it as ok.
Also On the help and support page Under system summary Click on + hardware Resources to expand click on I/O and check everything has ok also Check IRQs Has everything got OK.

If your game to try go back into System Configuration Utility set it back to normal but go in to the startup tab and untick KB891711- this will change to selective startup with all ticked but load startup group items greyed out. click ok and reboot
Any better?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 22 April 2007 - 02:36 AM.

Advertisements

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

OK, here are the results from the msinfo32:

DIRECTX Files

No Problems

DISPLAY

• The file nvdisp.drv is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
• To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
• To test Direct3D functionality, click the "Test Direct3D" button above.

SOUND 1

• The file emu10k1f.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
• To test DirectSound functionality, click the "Test DirectSound" button above.

SOUND 2

• No problems found.

SOUND 3

• No problems found.

MUSIC

• To test DirectMusic functionality, click the "Test DirectMusic" button above.
• No problems found.

INPUT

No Problems

NETWORK

• The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
• The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
• The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
• The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
• You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.
• Problems were found in the system registry. Details are available in the saved text file.

REGISTRY CHECKER

OK

HARDWARE RESOURCES

I/O

ALL OK

IRQ’s

ALL OK

Didn't do the System Configuration yet. Let me know if I should go ahead with that.

Thanks so much,

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca This is the 1st worry

β€’ Problems were found in the system registry. Details are available in the saved text file.

Did it say where it stored the file - can you find it.

The first System Restore point it gave me was July 30, 06.

This was after you ran the fix, Do you have a problem if we go back that far. Don't forget your restore folder was playing up and thats what the fix was for. Plus if it does not feel right according to Microsoft you can UNDO the last restore and go back to where you are now
Can you back up your computer - do you have access to a burner or a network connection to another computer?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 27 April 2007 - 03:27 AM.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

It doesn't tell me where the file is stored and I can't figure out how to find it. All it says is: Problems were found in the system registry. Details are available in the saved text file. Looked in Help File for DX but couldn't find anything about saved text files.

My System Restore Point still only gives me the date of July 30 06. I can Restore back to that point if you think it will help.

I have a CD Burner, but no network connection to another computer. I do have another Hard Drive that I was planning to use to swith to XP, but haven't had the nerve to take that step.

If we reload Windows ME will I have to back everything up?

I never did this fix:

If your game to try go back into System Configuration Utility set it back to normal but go in to the startup tab and untick KB891711- this will change to selective startup with all ticked but load startup group items greyed out. click ok and reboot

I didn't see a KB file under the startup tab.

Thanks again.

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca
Are you saying you did not run this fix
1% 2% error
If not why not
Cheers
Peterm

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

No, I was telling you I was unable to do this fix: If your game to try go back into System Configuration Utility set it back to normal but go in to the startup tab and untick KB891711- this will change to selective startup with all ticked but load startup group items greyed out. click ok and reboot.

It is something you suggested in Post 31.

I didn't see any KB files in startup tab.

I have performed the fix for the %1 %2 problem several times which involved renaming a winini file or wininit file (can't remember which one right now)

Thanks,
Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Sorry I thought you meant the other fix.
Ok I would backup and burn the backup to a disc if you can. This is what MS says about ME backup
There are two ways to work around this issue and use the Backup tool if you are using the Retail or Upgrade version of Windows Me, if you have an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), sometimes referred to as pre-installed, version of Windows Me, please see the note in the Important section below: β€’ Install the Backup tool in Windows Me by double-clicking the Msbexp.exe file in the Add-ons\Msbackup folder on the Windows Me CD-ROM.
β€’ If the Backup tool was installed in your previous version of Windows and you upgraded to Windows Me, create a shortcut on the desktop to the Backup tool that was installed in your previous version of Windows. In Microsoft Windows 98, the Backup program file is named Msbackup.exe and is located in the Program Files\Accessories\Backup folder. In Microsoft Windows 95, the Backup program file is named Backup.exe and is located in the Program Files\Accessories folder. To create the desktop shortcut, follow these steps:1. Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
2. In the Look in box, click Local Hard Drives.
3. In the Search for files or folders named box, type msbackup.exe if your previous version of Windows was Windows 98 (or type backup.exe if your previous version of Windows was Windows 95), and then click Search Now.
4. When the search is finished, right-click the Msbackup.exe (or Backup.exe) file, and then click Create a Shortcut. When you are prompted to place the shortcut on the desktop, click Yes.

IMPORTANT: Unlike programs such as ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter, Paint, and so on, the Microsoft Backup tool is not a core component of Windows Millennium Edition (Me). The Microsoft Backup tool has been included with the retail, released version of Windows Me to help maintain the functionality of Microsoft Backup after an upgrade to Windows Me. It is important to note that the Microsoft Backup tool cannot provide extensive backup functionality. Because of this, if you need to backup data, Microsoft recommends you obtain and install a third-party backup program.

If you have the retail version of backup then install it from the disc(instructions above) If not and you can afford the disc s needed then just burn what you want.
I think we have 2 options
1) Restore to 2006 - you will most likley loose any programs you installed after this time - unless you have the disc or the download. - Data should remain safe.
2) We try a windows ME reinstall which will take the computer back to basic windows so all programs again will be lost.
If you decide to burn off your data check your windows folder for any data you may have put there by mistake.
If you install the back up and get stuck using it let me know. It is quite easy.
If this was mine I would backup or burn data then try the restore.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 30 April 2007 - 06:27 PM.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

If this was mine I would backup or burn data then try the restore.

I am thinking about the System Restore fix and going back to July 30 06. Some questions before I do that.

How much back up do I need to do?

In System Restore on Sunday July 30, 06 it says:

2:33 A.M. Installed Window Media Player 9 Series
2:21 A.M. System Checkpoint

I think the only thing I might completely lose would be the Tune Up Utilities Program. Don't know if I will lose all Updates, i.e. Norton, Adobe Acrobat, Adaware, etc.

I am probably asking questions you already answered in your last Post, and I apologize for that.

OK, look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks a bunch.

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts

How much back up do I need to do?

That is the big question ? anything that is important and must have.
Can you install backup from the disc if not then use this
Winbackup
Most likley will loose updates. This from MS
Travel through time
Once you have restore points configured, it's easy to revert to them. Don't worry about losing information in recent documents or e-mail messages, as System Restore doesn't alter your personal files. You also have the option of reversing any changes that System Restore makes to your computer.
The Idea of restore is to revert software not data. If you a worried about the updates I can post in the Tech side of things to see if anyone else has an idea.
Cheers
Peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts

I do have an extra hard drive, which I was going to use to upgrade to XP, but haven't had the courage to take that step

Do you have an xp cd?
Can your system handle xp? what kind of processor do you have and how much ram?
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

I do not have an XP CD, I have been looking at prices and deciding which version to purchase.

I have a Pentium 4 CPU and only 256 MG's of RAM.

One reason I haven't upgraded to XP is I figured I needed to buy more RAM and Gateway RAM is a little expensive. $174.99 for 256 MB, they are installed in pairs of modules.

However, I am thinking that is probably the best plan (Upgrade to XP). I was looking back at all my Posts, mostly with Armodeluxe in Malware Forums. We did a ton of stuff including reinstalling ME. I don't know if you can get those Posts or even if you want to but I can send you the link if you would like.

OK, thank you so much.

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca
Please send me the link I did not know you reinstalled ME.
You should not have to by gateway ram it is just a matter of finding out what ram is in there now and matching it.
Example -SDRAM 133 also called pc133. Do you have a Manual with your computer if not model number please.
Before we go further I will have to read your malware post.
Cheers
Peterm

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

First, as for the RAM. I don't have the exact type as I am at work, but I will get that to you. My understanding is that is was so specific I had to use Gateway's product.

Now for the links. I will just give you all of them starting with my first post in Sep. 05

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=335185

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=341309

http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=587809

Thank You Peterm,

Rebecca

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi Peterm,

Here's the info. of my Gateway Memory:

PC 800 128 MB 128Bit RIMM
RIMM Continuity Module (C-RIMM)
PC800 RDRAM

OK, thanks again.

Rebecca

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Rebecca
I just read the last lot of posting you did with Wannabe1.
All was working ok. WHAT changed ?
Cheers
Peterm