Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd disappeared

• Please log in to reply

R1ck

R1ck

• Pip
  • 5 posts
On boot, message device 0 not found. Press F1 or F2. Cd/dvd drives not listed in device manager. Secondary IDE channel not listed. Jumpers settings haven't been changed. No recent hardware changes. Have checked cables and power connections. Drive doors open & close. Deleted high and low filters from registry. Hard drive works from secondary slot.
Previous restore pt. doesn't help, either. Can somebody tell me how to resolve this? I have not yet reset the bios or applied the .vbs script from doug's since it seemed unlikely to help given that the secondary IDE channel has disappeared too. Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you say an HD works from the secondary position? when you have an HD hooked up..in bios does it show "secondary ide channel" as being detected? is it reporting the correct drive?

do you have a spare CD-ROM or DVD drive that you could test there? or another machine to test the DVD drive in?

R1ck

R1ck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

so you say an HD works from the secondary position? when you have an HD hooked up..in bios does it show "secondary ide channel" as being detected? is it reporting the correct drive?

do you have a spare CD-ROM or DVD drive that you could test there? or another machine to test the DVD drive in?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, boots ok with hard drive in secondary slot. No mention of secondary channel. I'll have to wait 'til I can get the computer home where I can swap components around. I have the dvd burner slaved to cdrom. Don't remember the jumper settings. Seems unlikely that both drives would go out at the same time?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have the dvd burner slaved to cdrom. Don't remember the jumper settings. Seems unlikely that both drives would go out at the same time?

ok so you've NORMALLY got two devices on the secondary channel? but now none are showing?....but if you plug an HD into THE EXACT same cable that these devices are on....then the HD DOES show?

R1ck

R1ck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I have the dvd burner slaved to cdrom. Don't remember the jumper settings. Seems unlikely that both drives would go out at the same time?

ok so you've NORMALLY got two devices on the secondary channel? but now none are showing?....but if you plug an HD into THE EXACT same cable that these devices are on....then the HD DOES show?

Yes. Normally have a dvd writer and cd rom on secondary channel. I unplugged them from the motherboard and moved the harddrive cable over to the secondary slot. Booted to Windows after complaining that Primary slot was open. I have not tried optical drives in primary channel. If the master cdrom went bad, would it cause the bios to not recognize the slaved drive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...it shouldn't....but if you just have one optical drive on the secondary channell..instead of two...does it get recognized?

R1ck

R1ck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

...it shouldn't....but if you just have one optical drive on the secondary channell..instead of two...does it get recognized?

No. With cdrom attached, I got memory address errors. I ended up slaving the burner to the hard drive & dropping the cdrom. The Dell utility had a mem test - checked out ok. Secondary channel gone from device manager and IRQ 15 gone from the list. I'm assuming the secondary controller was fried by a voltage spike. Will the primary controller pick up from either of the motherboard slots? I'm still wondering why the hard drive worked from secondary slot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the primary controller will only pick up what's plugged into it...same with the secondary....do you have a spare IDE cable hanging arround? try testing with a different cable on the secondary controller (you could alternatley swap cables..i.e. what's now on the master...move to the secondary with the optical drives hooked up...and put the cable that's on the secondary on the primary controller with the HD on it)

R1ck

R1ck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

the primary controller will only pick up what's plugged into it...same with the secondary....do you have a spare IDE cable hanging arround? try testing with a different cable on the secondary controller (you could alternatley swap cables..i.e. what's now on the master...move to the secondary with the optical drives hooked up...and put the cable that's on the secondary on the primary controller with the HD on it)

I did swap cables. I did find a corrupted McAfee file, but it seemed unrelated. I thought I tried every combination of cabling. Maybe I'll take another look. We should probably consider this thread closed as the computer is running. If you can think of anything I haven't covered, Email me. Thanks.