Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Xp Pro, Login Problem After Installing New Memory Stick

• Please log in to reply

JodyMac12

JodyMac12

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i have a small office network, all machines running windows xp pro. i recently identified a bad memory stick in one of our machines, and i replaced it and retested it with memtest86+. it works fine. when the person who uses that workstation logged on this morning, she was able to logon to her desktop normally, however, she got the message that she could not connect to all network drives. for the record, she does have administrator privledges. i restarted that machine and the machine that acts as a server, but the problem persists. if i logon under my u/n & p/w, i can connect to the network drives. as a temporary fix, she logged on to the workstation, then i connected her to the network with my u/n & p/w. clearly, this is someting i need to fix, but i don't want to spend a lot of time chasing solutions. any suggestions? can i simply create another user profile for this person, and delete the original one? thanks in advance...

note: the memory stick i took out was a: 512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 533MHz. the new stick i installed is a 512MB PC2-5400 DDR2 667MHz.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Is it posswible her profile was changed from admin to poweruser?

JodyMac12

JodyMac12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Is it posswible her profile was changed from admin to poweruser?

Hey Silver -

thanks for the response - i don't see how that could have happened, since i didn't change any user settings, but i'll look at it. all i did was take out the bad memory stick and put in a new one...

JodyMac12

JodyMac12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK Silver -

I checked her user settings in the users section of the local users and groups folder in the computer management area. it showed her as a member of both the administrators and users groups, though, so i removed her from the users group. I restarted the computer, but the problem remains.

i then went into the group folder, and in the users group, i found some entries i don't understand - maybe they are the problem? they say:
NT AUTHORITY\ AUTHENTICATED USERS\S-1-5-11

NT AUTHORITY\ INTERACTIVE\S-1-5-4

can these 'users' be deleted? what are they?

thanks in advance for any help...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Is there a back up to the security profile for the network users and admins or security templates for admin users on file with the network?

JodyMac12

JodyMac12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Is there a back up to the security profile for the network users and admins or security templates for admin users on file with the network?

Honestly, i don't know. as you probably guessed, my networking knowledge is sketchy at best. i try to be diligent about backing stuff up, but since I don't know where to look for the 'security profile for the network users and admins or security templates for admin users', i doubt i'm backing that up...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If you use Imaging Sofware for network backups for drives depending on your update and retention policies you may be able to restore an image to before the RAM failure. If not you you could try to copy a known good profile and try to insert it on the account.

JodyMac12

JodyMac12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi-ho Silver...

I appreciate the input, but you're over my head...

I've decided to copy the the stuff from that users 'documents and settings' folder, then create a new user, insert the contents of the old 'documents and settings' folder into the new one, then delete the original user. if i get hung up on this, i'll let you know...