Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequently/Sporatically Restarting Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

relivethefire

relivethefire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
One day when I returned home from college I found my computer to be shut off. This was unusual, because I usually leave it on. So I turned it on, only to hear a click and watch it continuously reboot itself. Before I go any further, here are the specs of my computer.

LanParty KT400A Motherboard
AMD 2200+ Processor
350W Power Supply
Geforce 3 64MB Graphics
512 MB DDR PC2700
80 GB Seagate Barracuda
CD & DVD Burners
Floppy Drive

I opened up my computer and peered into the case and noticed that after I had turned it on, a little smoke seemed to be coming out of the power supply. So I decided to buy a new one. I hooked that one up, and my computer worked... for about five minutes. Again, it just randomly restarted. I had my old power supply tested and it checked out as working. Returned my new power supply, and my old one seemed to work with the same functionality as the new one. My problem is that my computer reboots itself everytime it starts to load Windows.
---------------------------
Process of Elimination
---------------------------
Eliminating the Power Supply -- It checked out at Digilink computers. Should work fine. Although I did buy a new one and install it before I got my old one to do anything at all.

Memory -- I ran memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) from a floppy disk. It came up with some errors. I bought a new stick of memory, took out the old ones. Same result as before. Reboots.

Hard Drive -- I ran Linux Live on CD, this OS that runs right from the CD ROM to rule out the harddrive, because I figured if it was running all the OS functions from CD, hard drive use would be minimal. It ran fine. Not only that, my computer didn't reboot. It stayed on and didn't reboot. So I bought a 40GB Seagate from one of my friends and tried to install Windows on that. I couldn't install it due to a blue screen that showed what looked like a memory address. Also when I was installing it there were some files corrupt or missing. Strange. I used a different harddrive of mine that didn't have WinXP on it and when it came up with the NTDLR is Missing, Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, the computer didn't restart, it seems to just do it when Windows tries to load.

Graphics Card -- Would a graphics card actually cause a computer to restart? I have no clue. I took it out and ran it without my card, and I didn't hear it restart, but it might've just hung because it didn't detect any videocard of any kind. I don't have any onboard video or any other video cards to check it against. If there's good reason to do that I'll try it. If not, I'm not going to waste my money.

Motherboard/CPU -- I'm starting to fear that it might be the MOBO, but I don't want to throw out $200 because of something that I might've missed. Is there a setting in BIOS that could cause this perhaps? I don't know.
If I leave the computer on for awhile in BIOS, it doesn't seem to restart either. So I don't really know whats causing it to restart. I hear kind've a "click" 'ing noise when it restarts too. Maybe an indication of something? I dunno. Tell me what you think. Thanks!

Jason

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Closing Duplicate Topic. The Original can be found HERE.

Fenor