Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen/Not recognizing Hard Drive Virus

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The other day my computer shut down and after booting it back up I am getting a blue screen after the windows loading screen that says "Fatal System Error, could not connect to the logon server." I knew I had a virus and I should have seen this coming.

Well so far I have tried booting up with safe mode, disabling all the optical drives and booting with safe mode with networking. Neither work and still take me to the blue screen. Then I tried putting in my windows disk and hitting enter to reinstall windows but I get a message saying I have no hard drive installed. I tried making a bootable floppy drive and put Fdisk on it in hopes of reformatting but I get the message "invalid disk, not a system disk. Please replace and hit a key."

I have not moved my computer around or anything and know that my hard drive is connected.

After reading around on this issue the common problem is GoBack and a windows hotfix. Neither apply to me.

I have no problem with reformatting my hard drive but I cannot seem to get to that step if I wanted to.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are probably getting a oXoooooo7B error.

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

* Stop 0x7B or “0x4,0,0,0” Error {KB 122926} Win NT, Win XP (on restart)
http://support.micro...kb/122926/en-us
* During setup (Sysprep issue) {KB 303786} Win XP
* When You Press F6 to Load Drivers During Unattended Win XP Setup {KB 307099} Win XP
* When you restart your Win XP-based computer {KB 316401} Win XP (after replacing motherboard)
* When you start your computer from a WinPE CD-ROM or from a Server 2003 CD-ROM using a USB CD-ROM device {KB 839210} Win XP, Win Server 2003 (patch available)
* Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Win XP & Server 2003 setup {KB 314859} Win XP, Win Server 2003

Beyond these answers is a replacement of the HD. If you have a boot sector virus its almost impossible to remove. What i do then is use the drive makers utilities to write zero's to the drive and start over again. I will use my test mule computer and slave the drive into it.

SRX660