Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL connection problem

• Please log in to reply

nightmareus

nightmareus

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok for some reason my dsl says its connected but when i try to get online nothing works, i called my internet company and they check the line outside which said it was working fine, so he checked my modem, it worked for a min and then stopped, bascially everything seemed ok to the guy he said it could be my computer, now when i do a check on msn it says the dhs or dns isnt working and i something about a dhcp not working any one who knows what the problem is please help.

bte my modem power lights that work are

1) power

2)eternet-constantly blinks

3)dsl

Advertisements

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok man I'm going to see exactly what's wrong....You ready to find out whats up? Im a tech support guy for Bellsouth FastAccess DSL so let's see whats going on....You ready?

nightmareus

nightmareus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes help of some sort would be nice....

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Try and open up Internet Explorer and surf by ip address..Try and surf to the site 64.233.167.99 ....If you can surf to that site then it is definately a DNS issue. Try and surf to that and let me know what happens.

nightmareus

nightmareus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well my computer is at home right now so i cant do that , but i did type in my ip address and it would take me to my isp website and i could do some stats checking and stuff, im pretty sure its a dns porblem cause when i go to run i type CMD then i type ping yahoo.com and i get a message syaing it cant connect.

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok if it is a DNS issue....What you are going to do is check to see if it is hard coded. You will go into control panel and go into your network connections. Go to the local area connection and right click on it and click properties....Go down to internet protocol (tcp/ip) and left click on it one time and then click on the properties button on the right. Your going to look down at the DNS area and see if obtain dns address automatically is checked or if use the following is checked...if use the following is checked click obtain automatically....if obtain automatically is checked you will need to contact ur isp and get the correct dns address's to put in there....either way it should work...who do you have for your ISP?

nightmareus

nightmareus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
A company called frontier, but their tech support sucks major balls, i called one guy last night and he would try one solution if it didnt work he would put me on hold and then come back with another solution, it was obvious he didnt know squat so i asked for another tech and i got the same response, it feels like their just reading a manual or something, anyways when i get home I will try what you say, if it helps i well say my network connections say connected when i do the ip thing and check my stats it says everything is working fine and even my isp say everything seems to be fine.

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok well Im busy at work right now but I will keep checking to see if you reply so I will keep looking....Good Luck

nightmareus

nightmareus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
/rape millerman996 :whistling:

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help: :) right......

nightmareus

nightmareus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
im going to try the program winsock hoping that would fix it if not i will come back here hoping you can help me some more.

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Did the DNS fix not work?

nightmareus

nightmareus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i havent treid anything yet im at work right now when i get home is when i will try what you said if it works i will post here if not wait a day or so for me to post back on here just keep looking to see if theirs a new post

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
either that or pm me