Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgraded to XP and now...

• Please log in to reply

bryon

bryon

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I upgraded my Compaq Presario 7360 from Windows 98SE to the XP Home Edition today. The upgrade went well enough but there are some minor problems I could use some help with.

The Search function worked briefly but now it quits immediately, saying there is an “Unexpected Error.”

Also, I’m trying to hide all the desktop icons, as I did in 98SE. XP’s own Help section says to go to the Control Panel, to Display, and click the Desktop tab. There is no Desktop tab. Also and thus I apparently have no Desktop Cleanup Wizard. Other instructions say to right click in a blank spot of the desktop, click “Show Icons As” and uncheck “Show Desktop Icons”; there is no “Show Desktop Icons” option when I do this. Why are these items missing and where do I go to get them?

Many thanks,

Bryon

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bryon...

We'll have to look into the search problem...the other is quite simple. Right click on the desktop, point to "Arrange icons by" and you should then see both the options you were looking for.

As for the search problem, what does it give any more information with the error at all?

wannabe1

bryon

bryon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I right click the desktop and go to Arrange Icon By, I get this list:

Name
Size
Type
Modified

Show in Groups (grayed out)
Auto Arrange
Align to Grid

That's all that shows up.

bryon

bryon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Going back to my Search problem, it brings up a window that simply says

Unexplained error
Action Could Not be Completed

bryon

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to control panel
system
hardware
device manager
any yellow or red marks

try to right click on them

click update driver

bryon

bryon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There are no red or yellow marks next to anything in the Device Manager. It's also set to automatically download any drivers it requires.

bryon

bryon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, I've got the search problem fixed; it was a registry problem and the official Windows site had a fix for it. Who would have guessed? (I found it much by accident.)

I still can't hide my desktop icons though. I don't have that option when I right click the desktop. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

bryon

bryon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Installing IE7 fixed the missing "Show Desktop Icons" option. Case closed.