Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows detects "bad clusters" in files

• Please log in to reply

JennyWu

JennyWu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So when I start up my computer and try to log into Window Live Messenger or even open up Microsoft Word, I keep on getting Pop-up messages saying that its encountered an error and needs to close down. Once I restart my computer or turn it on, Windows does a disk consistancy check (which usually takes forever) and detects a whole bunch of "bad clusters" in files (it says on the screen "windows has replaced bad clusters in file..."), and from time to time they find files that are completely unreadable so it's been "truncated."
When I try installing Windows Live Messenger a pop-up comes up which reads "Error Writing to file: C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\Error Response.xml. Verify that you have access to that directory" and I can't do anything else but click on retry, which does nothing.

I'm not sure if a virus has gotten into my computer, but I used AVG, and it hasn't detected anything.
Can someone help me please?

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
xp has a fix for bad cluster give this a try
remember it takes 2 hours to go through 5 stages
so be patient

go to my computer
from start
open it
on c:drive right click
properties