Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CPU Rate

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
[size=5][b]I have an Epox 8K7A+ mobo, and I've been running a 1.4 ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird CPU for 3 years. I believe my CPU is bad, and want to replace it. My FSB is 266. Now, I'm looking at a 2.4 ghz CPU with the same 266 FSB. Can I use this higher speed CPU--or should I stick with the 1.4 ghz size? Does it matter? :whistling:

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
According to reviews I've read your mobo is compatible with all Socket-A AMD Duron and Athlon processors. If you fit a faster one than you have now you will need to go into BIOS settings as the next step, from where you can set it's stated clock speed, otherwise it will simply run at the same speed as the old one.

Edited by pip22, 31 January 2007 - 08:48 AM.