Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Rate

• Please log in to reply

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
[size=5][b]I have an Epox 8K7A+ mobo, and I've been running a 1.4 ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird CPU for 3 years. I believe my CPU is bad, and want to replace it. My FSB is 266. Now, I'm looking at a 2.4 ghz CPU with the same 266 FSB. Can I use this higher speed CPU--or should I stick with the 1.4 ghz size? Does it matter? :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
According to reviews I've read your mobo is compatible with all Socket-A AMD Duron and Athlon processors. If you fit a faster one than you have now you will need to go into BIOS settings as the next step, from where you can set it's stated clock speed, otherwise it will simply run at the same speed as the old one.

Edited by pip22, 31 January 2007 - 08:48 AM.