Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did I mess up? MOBO, hard drive...

• Please log in to reply

MatthewG

MatthewG

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Here is the hard drive I ordered...

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

and the mobo

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

"PATA 1 x ATA100 up to 2 Devices " for the mobo. Is this going to be compatible? I didnt even think about the SATA type when I ordered it.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The mobo has 6 SATA ports for connecting hard drives. Any hard drive you purchase for it must also have a SATA interface. The drive you have bought has a PATA interface (formerly known simply as ATA before SATA was introduced) so is not compatible with those ports.

However the mobo also has one ATA port I believe, but it needs a special driver (included on the mobo CD) before any devices connected to it will work. That would not be very convenient as regards getting your system up and running, and anyway you would be losing out on the increased performance that you get from SATA, making it pointless buying a SATA mobo in the first place.

Edited by pip22, 31 January 2007 - 08:30 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
LOOKS like that WD drive is an IDE drive PATA (parallel ATA) is IDE (Technically EIDE now) SATA (Serial ATA) is a different animal all together.

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
looks like I will just order the SATA type and return the one that is coming, save me the troubles before it gets to be a problem.