Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Books

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Ok, we have topics for movies, music, and TV shows. Surely some of you must still read books (or at least listen to audio books!).

I was raised on English mysteries - my grandmother used to read aloud before dinner every evening when I spent summers with her. I have the complete collection of Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey books - I still love to read those. For more current ones, Ruth Rendell and P.D. James are quite good. I also like Elizabeth George.

Children's classics - I own all the E. Nesbit books (such as The Five Children and It), I've read every Arthur Ransome book, I don't know how many times I've read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I also own the Chronicles of Narnia and have read them many times. Sherlock Holmes is always a good read.

I like Kathy Reichs - her character Temperance Brennan is based so closely on her character as a forensic pathologist, and she brings a lot of realism to her mysteries. I greatly dislike the TV show based on her books (Bones), because the characters don't resemble the book at all, and the setting has been totally changed.

Harry Potter - I've read them all, most of them out loud to my kids. (They like the voices I do for the different characters).

Mark Twain

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
due to moderate dyslexia and a nice touch of ADHD (thank you genetics!) reading and i don't get along...i've usually got to read the same chapter of a book 2 or three times before anything makes sense (i tend to forget what i read at the top of the page by the time i get to the bottom...it's great)...so i tend to stick with short stuff...like magazines...

but from when i HAD to read...my favorite books were
watership down (rabbits that can talk? oh yeah)
the lord of the rings (including the hobbit which isn't actually part of the trilogy)
the lion the witch and the wardrobe collection (read the whole thing NUMEROUS times)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Watership Down - great book! Of course, I'd expect the monkey to like anything with talking animals - :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I like lord of the rings i must have read it at least 14 times as a whole and more than that in bits(i read the books that i like more often you can skip most of the boring frodo parts and not lose anything to the story).

The Maturin/Aubrey series by Patrick O'brian i read allot and and David gemmel books i like(lots of them and great for filling time) its really sad both of them passed away not getting to finish the books they were working on at the time, Frank Herbert it another favourite that passed before he finished his master piece his Dune series is fantastic.

I also like a bit of charles dickens david copperfield is one of my favourite books although im trying not to read to many of his works and spread them out(very lost isnt it but im hedging bets you leave one and it might suck).

Edited by warriorscot, 31 January 2007 - 11:05 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I read anything I can get my hands on.

Here are some of my favorites (all of these have been ready many, many times)

C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
Stephen King's The Talisman and the Dark Tower/Gunslinger series
J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts) Eve Dallas "... in Death" detective series
Lord of the Rings (Orlando Bloom with long blond hair and pointy ears... ooh la la - what a visualization!!)
Jane Austen, The Bronte sisters, and others from that time period

Both my boys enjoyed Mercer Mayer's Little Critter books when they were little, Goosebumps and Magic Treehouse when they were older.

Edited by LindaGail, 31 January 2007 - 11:15 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I forgot about Jane Austen - I've read all those as well.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Ive been reading a TON of little golden books lately.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
:whistling:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have a 5 month old son at home, I gotta read him the good stuff.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the pokey little puppy?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Those were the days, when books were made of fabric and made good pillows or made of rock solid cardboard and made excellent weapons in later toddler days.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
We've still got Dr Seuss' The Foot Book at home (my boys are 15 and 12).

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
The Hobbit which introduces the Characters in the Later books The Lord of the Rings an Excellent Read - by JRR Tolkien author of two of the most well-known and best-loved books not many people know of The Hobbit book. Well said Dsenette and Watership Down also a Good Read This book is an animal fantasy bestseller. It follows the adventures of a group of rabbits searching for a safe place in the threatening world to establish a new home. Watership Down is set in Berkshire, in southern England

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
My favorite books are:
Spy catcher - Peter Wright
Rise and fall of the Third Reich - William L. Shirer
I would have to say they are my favorites because I bought several copies of each. (hardback, paperback etc.)

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I read a lot but I mostly read Civil War books and titles by Christian authors and pastors.

I am currently reading "Co. Aytch" by Sam R. Watkins

Posted Image