Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Books

• Please log in to reply

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,667 posts
I used to read ever chance I got when I was a younger, mainly sci-fi and fantasy books. Unfortunately my PC took over my life and in the last ten years I think i've read about three books (that doesn't include e-books :whistling:).

Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series (also a PC game), Fighting Fantasy books, the Hardy Boys books, the Three Investigators books, choose your own adventure books to name a few.

Advertisements

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Eragon & Eldest are GREAT fantasy books (don't judge by the movie...)

but one of the best books ever has to be Brave New World by Alduous Huxley....breathtaking dystopian satire...

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I am currently enjoying the Left Behind series by Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye. It is a good book series even if you are not a religious person and very well written. I also have to say the Dark Tower series was awsome and everyone should read, especially if you have read any of the relating books ie: It, From a Buick 8, Heart of Atlantis, Salems Lot and a tons of other books that have little pieces to do with the Dark Tower.

kingmatt

kingmatt

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I used to read toilet paper if I could find nothing else.
Books I read to the point I can quote them.

Joseph Heller Catch 22
Isaac Asimov Foundation series
Irving Stone Agony and the Ectasy
TH White Once and Future king
Ion Idriess Cattle King, Flynn of the Inland, The red chief
Robert Graves I, Claudius and Claudius the God
Frank Hardy Power without glory
Mark Twain Tom Sawyer
Ken Kessey One flew over the Cookoo's nest

These remain great books that I'm waiting for altzheimers to fully kick in so I can read them as new
Unfortunately good books are very hard to find now that publishers have discovered the airport lounge market.
As I said, I used to read toilet paper, now I find most of what is published is used toilet paper.

Edited by kingmatt, 20 February 2007 - 03:45 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No one has read any books by R. A. Salvatore? I'm shocked!! By far the best fantasy writer ever! Drizzt is by far my most favorite character from ANY book I have ever read.

Fenor

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Ahhh.... the dark elf.....

I picked up 4 or 5 of his Forgotten Realms at a book-fair a couple of years ago. It was a little difficult context-wise, because the books I got weren't sequential or even in the same series. But very well written and I enjoyed them overall.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no body mentioned shell silverstine (sp?) either...great stuff

or one of the best books ever...where the wild things are by maurice sendak

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
Personally I like Historical novels/books, a few good ones are as follows:
  • Nathaniel's Nutmeg by Giles Milton: The story of Nathaniel Courthope and the spice trade, with a twist at the end.
  • Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse: A harrowing collection of eyewitness accounts of what happened after the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.
  • Singapore : the Pregnable Fortress by Peter Elphick: The leadup and fall of Singapore, what went on and why it really happened.
  • Hannibal, Pride of Carthage by David Durham: A novel about Hannibal and the Second Punic War
  • Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa: A story of the legendary samurai who was the greatest swordsman of all time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you guys should be proud of me...i've actually started reading a real book...well...sort of..
i got "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor" which is the autobiography of Bruce Campbell (of "army of darkness", "evil dead", "evil dead 2", and "bubba ho-tep" fame) it's so far an awesome book. i've only just gotten into the middle of the first chapter, but he's got an awesome writing style...and it doesn't hurt that in my head while i'm reading it...i can hear his voice reading along, makes for a very enjoyable book...if any of you are Bruce Campbell fans...find this book, i got it for 5 bucks at borders...well worth it

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
If anybody is a fan of Sherlock Holmes (and you all should be btw) then you must read the M.J.Trow novels starring Inspector Lestrade.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
My list of favorites: All Dan Brown and Michael Crichton

Da Vinci Code,
The Hot Zone,
Angels and Demons,
Rising Sun, Dreamland,
Act of War,
State of Fear,
Next, Prey,
Andromeda Strain,
Deception Point,
Digital Fortress

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.
For me these are 'can't put down once I start until I've finished' books. They paint a beautiful picture of everyday life in Botswana.