Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Imap messages being autodeleted

• Please log in to reply

CNBarnes

CNBarnes

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have searched both Google and the msnews. groups and have seen a few others ask similar questions, but have not yet found an answer. My situation is as follows:

OL 2003
Imap server - using postfix and dovecot.
Preview Pane is OFF
View is set to IMAP Hide marked for Deletion

There are no rules to delete any messages whatsoever - there is in fact, only 1 rule, which looks for messages with a specific string in the To: line - those messages are moved to another folder.

When a message comes in with an attachment, it shows up in the list of messages in the Inbox. All is well until the user double clicks on the message to read it.

The window opens and the user can read the message (and open the attachment). But as soon as the window opens, I notice (in the background) window) that the message is marked for deletion.

*This is a very bad thing*
(obviously)

Other things I notice:
* it only does this the FIRST TIME the user opens the message. That is, if they undelete the message, then re-open it, it is not auto-deleted.
* There are 500+ users on the email server (about 50% using IMAP, the others using Pop3), but only 3 use Outlook (the majority use Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or Squirrel mail). No other user has this happen - which means that there is no way this can be a server issue...

I have tried everything I can do (short of uninstalling Office and reinstalling). This includes wiping out the files in the C:\Doc&Sett\userid\AppData\Microsoft\Office directory (and backing up the .pst file from the \Local Settings\... directory) and letting Office recreate them (and then resetting the user's preferences).

Anyone have ANY advice on how to get this behavior to stop?

Advertisements