Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I have an MSI ms6714v1.0 motherboard that I can't get sound on. The sound driver installs and it says it's working but no sound. After looking inside I see that it has a front sound connector and seem to remember that in order to use the sound in the back there must be jumpers on this connector... unfortunately they are not ther, nor do I have a manual for this board nor does msi seem to make them available... The pin out looks like this:

:::.:

if i remember correctly there is usually two jumpers on these but I dont' rememeber exactly where they go... can anyone help?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is for Realtek AC'97 sound.
There is a jumper on the Speaker Out and Speaker Out Return pins. There should be a pair, corresponding to a channel of audio. So, if you have a Left and Right channel, there will be a Speaker Out and Speaker Out Return for the Left and Right channel. However the only drawback is that this resolution disables any attachment of a front audio jack for Headphones or a MIC. Ideally, if you do not use any front panel audio connection or if your case doesn't allow an option to, you can simply make sure to check that there is jumpers on the Speaker Out and Speaker Out Return. This enables you to use your speakers that are attached into the audio jacks on the rear of your computer as normal, thus no more "drop outs".

I don't know about MSI but i have pictures of the jumpers on a ASUS motherboard. Some MB's the front sound is disabled in the BIOS.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 01 February 2007 - 05:32 AM.