Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to increase RAM in my PC.

• Please log in to reply

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I have P4 1.7MHz, 40Gb HDD,256 MB RAM,Windows Xp Professional OS.I want to increase my Ram.I have two Stics already installed in my system each 128MB and their speed is 133MHz so total ram i have is 256MB.I want to add one more 128MB RAM but my system is not accepting.The rams are working and the sloths are also working.I have tried them one by one.Its accepting only two RAM's.If i add the third one the operating system is not getting loded.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a home built pc or one that came from like dell or something like that? do you know what make and model the motherboard is if it's home built? what make and model is the pc if you got it from dell or hp or whatever?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
make sure you look at the specs of the motherboard to see if it would accept more then 256mb of ram or even up to the 384mb your looking to add

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

is this a home built pc or one that came from like dell or something like that? do you know what make and model the motherboard is if it's home built? what make and model is the pc if you got it from dell or hp or whatever?

Its an assembled PC.Not a branded one.Motherboard is 845 chipset.

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

make sure you look at the specs of the motherboard to see if it would accept more then 256mb of ram or even up to the 384mb your looking to add

I have not checked its manual it supports or not but it gave provision for adding one more RAM.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I believe that's the PC-133 type of RAM. Your motherboard support up to 1GB of RAM I think.

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

I believe that's the PC-133 type of RAM. Your motherboard support up to 1GB of RAM I think.

I don't know.I bought this pc when P4 was newly launched.I never heard that 1Gb ram was in the market when i bought it.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I was saying that if there's 2 PC-133 slots, then it support up to 1GB RAM. I still have my compaq 5333CL when XP just came out and it support up to 1.5GB RAM. I remember when P4 came out a lil bit before Windows XP released back in late 2001. It only come up to 512MB/stick for the PC-133.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can find the make and model of your motherboard...go to www.crucial.com and put in that info to see what your board can handle...they also have a tool that you can download and run that will identify the board for you and then suggest ram specs.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I was saying that if there's 2 PC-133 slots, then it support up to 1GB RAM. I still have my compaq 5333CL when XP just came out and it support up to 1.5GB RAM. I remember when P4 came out a lil bit before Windows XP released back in late 2001. It only come up to 512MB/stick for the PC-133.

My Compaq 5000 only supports 512mb PC-133 RAM. I'm willing to bet some motherboards only support 256mb.