Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opening a .dat file

• Please log in to reply

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi all at geekstogo.com! the best solution for any computer problem.

I have recieved an email with a ".dat" attachment and doing some searches i haven't been able to find a program to open it. I have requested the sender resend the email in plan text or as a word document with no response. Can you please help?

Thanks ahead of time you guys are great!

Stalker Jay

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is it winmail.dat? From my googling this problrm, I found suggestions of opening it with Notepad or WordPad.

Here's a link that explains the .dat email attachments.

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
no it isn't a winmail.dat i read the same info and notepad wordpad or microsoft word would open it they just gave me a bunch of unreadiable charachters.

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well i got a reply froom the sender with the attachment in Microsoft Word format he said it doesn't look as nice, but [bleep] at least i can open it! Thanks for your time and help!~

Jay

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Jay,

If you trust the sender, you might try to open it in excel. I know with some our .dat files in our office. The files that turnout gibberish in word, are meant to be opened with excel. It may or may not be what you need, but its worth a shot...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
dat file are used for format and index purposes in the windows os. The characters you see are legible to the os or parent program and do various things usually format layout for a document. As far as I know they are not executable.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Save the attachment to your hard drive, then change the file extension to .eml and it will open....dunno why, but it works every time I get mail from a friend I have whose attachments always do that.
Johanna

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
How do you change a file extension?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Click once to highlight, pause, click again as if to change the name of the file. The file name will allow you to edit. Delete the .dat and replace it with .eml . Click it again to "set it", then double click to open it. Wow. That sounds harder than it is. :whistling:
Johanna

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
oh okay. i got it. a little shortcut for you is F2 (or right click, rename)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You're right, but when I answered you I just described how I would do it. Sorry. I try to avoid telling people to use the F keys because many of the new keyboards are like mine and have a toggle for multiple functions, so it gets confusing. I've also learned on this board that right click context menus can vary considerably and I've gotten into the habit of not using them when I don't have to, even when I'm wanting default behavior. Glad it worked for you, too.
Johanna

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ah i see, very valid points in an effort to be consistant and general due to the huge variation of computers out there. thanks