Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why has god forsaken me?

• Please log in to reply

tankertons20

tankertons20

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok here we go again. my sons pc is a pos. whenever you try to boot we get nothing. the monitor doesnt respond, no beep errors. i was wondering if it was the video card or the memory. cause ive swapped out the power supply, no response.changed out the monitors, no difference.and i was wondering if there was a way to check the video or memory, since i have nothing to swap out.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – tankertons [20PC will not boot] 31st Jan 2007

my sons pc is a pos.

Hope this stands for – Pretty Old System –

i was wondering if there was a way to check the video or memory, since i have nothing to swap out.

Yes – but I need more description of PC –

(1) Make & Model
(2) Type – Desktop – Tower – Notebook
(3) Make & Model of Motherboard
(4) Make & Model of both – New & Old Power Supplies – Was replacement – New or Used
(5) Age of Computer
(6) Operating System & Service Pack installed
(7) Any upgrades to memory – video – Hard drive – recently that could be contributing to this issue???
(8) Verify that you did not knock any connections loose – and that all connections are properly made
(9) Tell me about any thing odd that you encountered when inside case
Word of caution – when replacing Power Supplies – be careful if PC is from a – Proprietary Manufacturer – These companies do not follow – PC Standards –

OOOPS- Did a little research on your recent posts -

I see that you have – Made 5 different Posts on the same issue – Tell me more about the Fan Problem –

You said you moved the connection?? from where to where??

You indicated your motherboard is – [/b]MSI motherboard with K7T Turbo Ver.3[/b] – here is the website

http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=100

Also you indicated the PC is a – Tower – Did someone build it for you?? – If so you should have some manuals for Motherboard & Tower Case –

From your posts – I would venture to say – the Processor may have fried / overheated?? – Tell me more about all the problems/issues on PC – How long has this problem/s been happening –

Post back information required – and put a little more effort into researching the required info – you should have some manual/s on PC – where was it purchased? –

Jack123

tankertons20

tankertons20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
im sorry i couldnt reply sooner, but I'm not sure how old the pc is. my mother in law got it from someone at work. it was used for government work. so i have no manuels and everything i know about it, i have posted prior as you have seen.the case says 2000 compliant, it was a new power supply. plus when we thought it was the power supply we also tried my daughters power supply and the same results.ive been trying everything anyone has been willing to suggest. still with no results. it is a tower, windows 2000 with sp4, we recently added the soundblaster card. but the pc was freezing prior to the sound card installation.the connection for the cpu fan was not and will not work. when we run the plug to the fan for the case it runs.after your suggestion i looked at hte cpu and it appears to have some corrosion on it. would it be easy to find a cpu for this motherboard?im not sure about the compatibility.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 – tankertons20[PC will not boot] 1st Feb-2007

Ok – Enough information to get started –

the connection for the cpu fan was not and will not work. when we run the plug to the fan for the case it runs.after your suggestion i looked at hte cpu and it appears to have some corrosion on it.

This appears to be the – Root Cause – This indicates that the Motherboard CPU Fan Power Circuitry has a problem – And probably has other problems – Although it all could be the result of a – Fried CPU –

Would need more information about system – In order to determine the best approach to upgrade – but 1st – Lets look closer at the CPU Fan Assembly –

Read the following instructions over several times – to get acquainted with the process – Just take your time and be aware of loose connections & be careful not to be the cause of a loose connection –

The Fan Assembly should be mounted on top of the CPU Heat Sink – And should be secured by 4 corner screws – Need to mark a corner of the Fan and Heat Sink – to establish proper – Mounting Orientation – so when you can reinstall the Fan Correctly –

– You want to disconnect the Main Power Cord from PC – before starting –

Now disconnect power connector to CPU Fan – And carefully remove the 4 corner mounting screws from the Fan – be careful to not burr the screw heads – or strip the threads when removing the screws – Use proper size Phillips Type Screwdriver – And be careful and not drop any of the screws – while removing – They are small & may be difficult in locating –

NOTE – You are only removing the FAN – Only the FAN – Not the Sink Block -

Make note of the Orientation Markings before removing – So that you will reinstall the same way –

Now inspect the Fan – for Broken blades – worn bearings – cracked mounting frame – etc – Also look for Excessive Dust Buildup – on the Fan Blades – And – On the Heat Sink Assembly – If it is extremely excessive – where it is – Clogged – This would be the beginning of the CPU Freezing – Depends on how Long – if CPU is Dead or Not –

If Fan is damaged – You can purchase a new Fan at any computer store – Just bring old one with you for size information –

You may have to pick some of the clogging out – And you can use a Can of – Compressed Air Dust – Just be Careful – To keep the Can Upright – at all times – Tilting the can will turn the Air Pressure to Liquid – which will make matters worse – Read Instructions on the Can – It may require that you turn or reposition the Case & keep the Can Straight -

While you are in the cleaning Mode – You may as well clean the Entire Case for Dust Bunnies – Also look/inspect all connections for proper & secure connection – It is very easy to knock something loose and not know it -

Now when cleaning is completed –Orient the Fan Assembly Correctly – and correctly reattach the 4 screws – being careful – not to strip the threads or burr up the heads – Just loosely install all 4 screws before tightening – And verify that Fan Wiring does not get caught under the Fan Housing – Then Tighten each screw a little at a time – So that Fan is evenly mounted –

EDIT – Reconnect CPU Fan Power & verify correct & secure connection – – 2/2/2007

Now if you are Lucky – PC will now Boot up – The Proper Fan Rotation – will be in the manner that – Air is being Forced down into the Heat Sink & exiting out the Side Fins of the Heat Sink Assembly – Check the Exhaust Fan Assembly in rear of Case – The proper rotation should be forcing the Hot Air – OUT –

Post back the results – I think it may be too late – This process should have been done maybe – a month ago – but maybe you are lucky – CPU is well protected against overheating – but if that circuit fails then ???? The Motherboards needs to be replaced –

No use in replacing only the CPU – Depends on how old Motherboard is & how much RAM Memory etc –

We will discuss this later –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 02 February 2007 - 04:40 PM.